Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I leave my sweet corn seedlings uncloched?  (Read 2171 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Can I leave my sweet corn seedlings uncloched?
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:10:55 am »
I've sown my sweet corn direct, under cloches, and they've just germinated.

We're going away this week and the forecast is to be relatively mild with some rain. Would the seedlings be ok to be left uncovered now they've germinated so that they get the benefit of whatever rain there is?

We are in the south of England.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Can I leave my sweet corn seedlings uncloched?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
Check the Beeb online forecast for the time you'll be away to be sure there is no strong wind forecast - that's what has done for our corn before.
I would leave them uncovered so they are watered, otherwise you could come back to scorched, dry seedlings.  Give them a really thorough watering before you go.  To some extent you have to take your chances, as no-one really knows what the weather will be.  :corn: :corn: :corn:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:46:37 pm »
I agree with what FW has said. Is there anything you can put up to protect them from wind if there is any?

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:42:37 am »
Perhaps you could cover them with horticultural fleece? This would help to keep them warm but also allows the rain through.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:07:36 am »
All I can say is you lucky s*&s, wish I could grow sweetcorn outside!  Mine are just planted and in the greenhouse, beside the tomatoes, and I'll be lucky if they do anything at all.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:09:11 am »
I sweetcorn corn is growing really Well! Planted them out inside the chicken run full of manure and old straw. Half of them have plenty of straw mulch and they are knee high and the other half was overgrown with nettles , which I've cut down the other day but they are half the size of the first ones. I mixed three different varieties in there.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS