Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: English breeds in Spain  (Read 2066 times)

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
English breeds in Spain
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:03:30 pm »
I would love to raise a couple of English porkers here is Spain. How would Ai go about importing them, or does anyone know if I can obtain them here? I have contacted a couple of breeders but had no replies. Thanks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: English breeds in Spain
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:13 pm »
First you find someone to supply you, they sort out the quarantine and export papers. You sort out transport. It will make them very expensive pork!

Minnimoo

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:13:57 pm »
I was worried that would be an answer! I guess breeding would be the answer but we only need 2 a year and even then it's bacon sandwiches everyday. Actually........

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
It would be much cheaper to go with a local breed. I don't think British pigs would do well in the heat.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:18:50 pm »
Pale skinned ones might not but Large Black, Oxford Sandy & Black and Tamworth might be a different proposition.  All outdoor pigs need shade and a shower or wallow in hot weather.  I've got a GOS with 10-day old piglets that's spending the day outside in a shaded concrete run in preference to her sty (it's 27 degrees here today).  I  usually shower the adult pigs with tepid water every 45 minutes when it's that hot but I don't want to soak the piglets so I'm leaning over the fence and dampening her down with the watering can instead.  Works a treat.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:38:02 am »
Just a thought, have you tried speaking to your local butcher they might be able to put you in touch with breeders who sell piglets.

Tedfold Cottage Farm

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Billingshurst West Sussex / Surrey border
    • Tedfold Cottage Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »
Contact Chris Impey on 07980 915970 / chrisimpey@btinternet.com or Wendy Scudamore on 07903 506207 / wendyscudamore@gmail.com as they export pigs regularly and could give you a better idea on prices. they may even be able to tag a couple pigs on to another export to Spain if you're in no particular rush which would perhaps lessen such expenses.
Naturally produced, outdoor reared, happier animals
One-day novice and half-day intermediate pig courses in the South
Author of The Commuter Pig Keeper (5M Publishing)

www.tedfoldcottagefarm.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS