Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Allotments  (Read 2764 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Allotments
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
Evening all

Hope you are enjoying the gorgeous weather we have been having.

I'm in the process of setting up my growing areas for open and under cover growing, using the pigs to dig up the ground and fertilise as they go.

I had an idea but not sure how to go about it. There is a massive shortage of allotments around where I live and massive waiting lists to get one. So I was thinking I might rent out some of the growing areas I am making to people who are after a space to grow their own veg.

Can I simply advertise this and see what response I get, or do I need to get any permission from the local authorities to do this?

Thanks
Denis

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Allotments
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:01:01 am »
If it is your own land  I like the idea , you will need some sort of contract for tenancy  that will protect you from squatters claiming squatters rights because they have farmed your land for a set number of years etc . 

I'd do a bit ( lot ) of local authority on line research first to see if any
thing can be gleaned before you make a personal approach .

If you ask enough people for permission , one will eventually feel honour bound to refuse you permission if there is nothing set down in law ........ because they feel it's right to refuse you permission .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »
I don't know anything about permission, but I do know that when we offered a 'veg patch share' we ended up being taken advantage of, tools broken, and way beyond the fair share of produce taken. These were 'friends' so we had not thought to have any formal agreement.  However, I would suggest that they provide all their own tools, seeds, etc, although you would need to ensure a water supply.  You might also want to specify acceptable times for them to be there, or rather what times were unacceptable, parking, access etc. I know it sounds petty, but your altruistic desire to help others have access to grow their own crops can end by blowing up in your face.

With those caveats, I think it's a lovely idea - good luck  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41:17 pm »
I've often thought of doing the same with my front paddock - about a third of an acre; but to be honest most folk in this area have gardens, there's not many flats.   
I value my privacy as well as having a fear of being taken advantage of. It is a shame because all i use it for is my apple and plum trees at the top and giving my dogs somewhere different to sniff around in.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS