Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Don't Crovect lambs?  (Read 2705 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Don't Crovect lambs?
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:45 pm »
Just checking this is right....

Crovect says not to use on animals less than 12kg. My lambs are well under this, so I don't treat them until they reach that weight? Am nervous about leaving them unprotected!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Don't Crovect lambs?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 03:11:58 pm »
Yes I think it can cause nervous system issues if I remember right? I don't know what the minimum weight on clik is?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:55:36 pm »
You'll get some more experienced people than me responding but my understanding is fly strike is more likely in longer fleece so less of a risk with lambs

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:22:33 am »
Flys are attracted to damp and smelly things, your lambs should be neither when they are young.  It's not until they start getting dirty backsides that you need to worry, or when your ewes have dirty back ends.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
Flys are attracted to damp and smelly things, your lambs should be neither when they are young.  It's not until they start getting dirty backsides that you need to worry, or when your ewes have dirty back ends.

Had a case of strike already this year before our ewes were shorn, her back end was clean and the strike was on her back. A few years ago had strike in a lamb mid July time, again his back end was clean and he had it on his shoulder blades.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 03:36:48 pm »
Flies don't always go for mucky back ends.  Clik gives application rates for animals over 10kg.  My March lambs were done when I separated them off from the ewes before shearing last week

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:56:51 pm »
Yes permethrin (as in Crovect) does cause nervous problems so not worth risking on young lambs. They are at minimal  risk of fly strike anyway because of their short wool. It shouldn't be long before they reach 12kg anyway, so just keep an eye on them.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 06:48:44 am »
I usually crovect and first worm the lambs when I wean them at 3 months - mainly because their not bucket trained and a nightmare to round up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS