Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe Lamb Pricing  (Read 1936 times)

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
Ewe Lamb Pricing
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:23:52 am »
Hi,
How much should I charge for pedigree Suffolk lambs.They are from my MV accredited flock and are registered with the suffolk sheep society. They are of good size now as born in December.
Not sure if I definitely want to sell them, just want to be sure if I get an offer I'm not under-pricing them.
Thanks

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Ewe Lamb Pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:03:30 pm »
I don't know the breed, but would class them as 'commercial' and price them around the £80 mark.  However I just checked the market prices and if their around 40kg now then their worth £88. If it was me I'd sell them for meat now while the price is high. In a couple of months the price will drop and I'd either keep some then, or buy some in.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:00:31 pm »
There were some gimmer ewes on the Suffolk Sheep society website that had been sold for £200 each, so I guess a pedigree, registered ewe lamb would be worth a little bit less?  :thumbsup:

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 07:33:38 am »
Can you get hold of sales reports from last year's pedigree sales to see what ewe lambs were fetching then? It may give you a guide as to what to charge. Or check online for others selling the same breed and deem from the photos whether yours are better, worse or on par and price accordingly :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:08 am »
If they are quality and from a successful flock you could name your price. Sellmylivestock is pretty good for gauging prices but if quality animals then £200 probably wouldn't be unreasonable. Definitely not meat value !

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:04 am »
Meat or breeding. 40 kilo suffolk lambs for meat were in excess of £80 at our auction last week. If they are for breeding and are good examples keep them and take you could them to the suffolk sale in the autumn where they generally sell for over £200.

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:32 am »
Thanks everyone.
I think I will hold onto them, and let their value go up which will give me more time to decide which ones I want to keep and those I want to get rid of.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »
If you might sell them as fat lambs then ask your livestock mart what their optimum weight is - if over-fat the price will decli9ne.  Does the breed society have an upset price (below which bids at an official breed society auction will not be accepted)?  It's what I sell my Southdowns for when selling off the farm - I know some folks sell for a lot more but it saves me taking them to the mart and buyers can be confident they're not being "done".

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:02:28 pm »
I can't imagine that thesuffolksmallholding has gone to the expense and trouble of registering the lambs just to sell them fat! :thinking: 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS