Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags  (Read 3108 times)

nikks14

• Joined Aug 2015
Ear tags
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:51:59 pm »
Hi Everyone, can you please recommend  a good place for goat ear tags, not EID thank you

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Ear tags
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 05:47:17 pm »
Can I jump in please? What tags do people recommend for goats? I have one girl who has lost two tags now from the same ear. She now has one tag on one side and three in the other! There is no room for any more. We use rectangular ones ( not looped) and I have no clue how she loses them. Thanks

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
I use the same and they pull through the ear sometimes when they catch them.
Thinking of changing types myself
Couple of my original stock have looped ones they never had problems
Couple others have button type never had problems , thought they look unsightly but imo prob will give least trouble

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:10 pm »
I've used shearwell set tags now and haven't had a goat tear one out yet... (Mind you when I claimed that about sheep, I had a soay x lamb that managed to rip one out the same ear twice!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »
Can I jump in please? What tags do people recommend for goats? I have one girl who has lost two tags now from the same ear. She now has one tag on one side and three in the other! There is no room for any more. We use rectangular ones ( not looped) and I have no clue how she loses them. Thanks

Why do you need 4 tags?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:10 am »
When you re-tag with a new number cut out the old tag in the other ear and re-use the same hole for the new tag.
As long as it's recorded as it should be in your flock book there's no need for the old numbers.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:23 am »
I cannot even imagine cutting out the old one. I find tagging barbaric enough. How on earth do you do that without causing her more pain. I might be soft ( I AM soft) but would struggle to do that.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:43 am »
Think Doltons do replacement tags same number so you can just replace the missing tag ?
They charge a fair bit think its £2.50 per set but saves hassle of re tagging good ear
http://www.daltontags.co.uk/cat/othertags/goat-ear-id-tags/goat-replica/

Agree its not a suitable idea for goats imo
I have a doe who has  long rips in both ears due to tags hate them
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:23:27 am by mart6 »

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 12:40:46 pm »
I meant you cut the tag not the ear.
I use foot shears and cut the pin of the tag and slide it out, very easy and no harm to the goat.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »
Aha. Sorry was having a daft moment. Now I understand.
I am not sure whether we would manage to hold her still but it's worth a try. Sorry ????

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:18:34 pm »
No more difficult than holding still to tag her and once the old one is out  the new can go in the same hole so less painful.

Although having said that, one of my goats gets a septic ear every time I retag even in the same hole with antiseptic and antibiotic spray so I've stopped trying now.  If they come an inspect I'll show them the tag and explain why it's staying in the drawer.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 12:07:29 am »
Mine tags are all in the drawer. They go in when the goats go for slaughter or when they die and need to be lifted.

Peter and Timmys mum

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:47 am »
Hi, can anyone help please, I have a goat which has lost both ear tags so I need re-tag, also one born here thats never been tagged yet.  I now need to rehome and understand I need them tagged is this true? and how do I do this?  thanks for any advice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS