Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing chicks of different ages  (Read 1758 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Mixing chicks of different ages
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »
Hi, I've heard different opinions on the topic of mixing chicks of different ages. I want someone to tell me it'll be OK ;-) I've got eight seven week old chicks in a run and four three week olds still in a different cage with a heater. I had expected the last batch to be much larger than four, but a lot of eggs didn't hatch, and three died. To make it easier I would like to put the four younger ones in with the older ones once they're off heat. Will this be possible do you think? I could put their small cage in the big run for a few days so that they get used to each other. Or will the older ones go for the younger ones anyway?

It would be great if it could work because now I've got a broody hen and I would like to put her in my spare run instead of the four younger chicks.... ;D I need more runs!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Mixing chicks of different ages
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:12:34 pm »
 :wave: I've done this and it's fine. I'd never risk mixing very young chicks in with bigger ones, even if there was only days of difference, there's too much chance that the young will get deliberately trampled.

but later on it's fine. 7 week and 3 week olds should be fine, especially in such small numbers.

Someone on here said that they always mixed batches hatched 3 weeks apart so i started doing the same; refilling incubator as soon as first hatch had finished.

I'd recommend that you're around if possible for mixing day and check them frequently. If the hutch is small, the big ones will generate heat for the younger chicks as well, so as long as the weather is fair, the hutch smallish, and the run weather proof, you can probably take them off heat sooner than you might if you were just putting the four wee chicks out. Mum would have her 3/4 week old chicks out most of the time in good weather. I like a roof for my chick runs and shelter from wind. In a bad spring I've had some in the greenhouse, other years put old windows at sides of run and a tarp over them.

It also depends on the size of the run, if it's bigger, with several water and food stations, places to hide, jump on and stuff to distract them, there's less likely to be problems. Sorry this is a bit long and ranty!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:14 am »
What breed?   I wouldn't mix our Legbar x Welsummer chicks with any of our L/F from a different group but of a similar age, for instance, as they're fierce little ****s that will deplume the back and rear of any soft-feathered breed.

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:29:52 pm »
This is an old thread and sorry I didn't reply to your post Marches Farmer.

They're all cross breeds. Dad's a Buff Sussex x Cream Legbar and mums are different breeds, but they're all similar-ish looking. I did mix them in the end. I put the little ones small cage in the bigger cage for a few days and then I let them out in a bigger area ,under supervision, together. The older ones gave the younger ones a few pecks when they got too close, but there was no  sustained bullying. I was very relieved as I was running out of pens. t took about two weeks for the two groups to start mixing. Now they're all friends :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS