Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sows  (Read 6504 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Sows
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 07:06:13 am »
I just don't see why its fine for you to drive 65km with a live load but if its 70km your breaking the rules. The animal welfare argument doesn't stack up for me I'm afraid. I think it was an idea drawn up and implemented by civil servants creating work for themselves. For me some rules are silly, badly written and make no sense - this is one of them.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 09:17:27 am »
If you have an accident involving livestock is doesn't only involve the police DEFRA are informed. I am a firm believer if you want to do this properly then obey the rules. They are there for the animals welfare !!!!

A livestock transport certificate does not test your competency to drive a trailer it gives you permission to carry livestock. A trailer test is about competency but not towing livestock.

Then there are the individual tests you can take for each type of livestock including chickens.

Is it about animal welfare? I seriously doubt it. There are massive issues in animal transport welfare with the long journeys between continents and countries that need addressing before most other livestock journeys, especially those made by smallholders.

Yes, there are rules and like most rules people will decide if they are going to obey them or not.  Those people I know who didn't take the individual animal tests did so because they felt their activity was not for economic gain.

If it was about animal welfare it wouldn't matter on the journey length, whether it is for a business or not. Most animals are stressed not by the travelling once in the trailer but the incompetent loading.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 09:28:24 am »
honestly?  I dont know anyone that has been cautioned on the license because there isnt anyone who is really taking note - the only people involved is C&G who are making money.  The whole thing is a joke because no one is checking. The police arent interested because its not a road safety thing.  The worst thing that could happen is a verbal caution we need to get a grip here.

At the end of the day you can either ask someone else to drop them down.  We are talking a tiny trailer not a wagon.  Worst things are happening every day with long distance animal shipments to me this is criminal.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »
So [member=157890]valmet10[/member]  have you bought your sows?  Like most when starting I have done the odd trip over 65km to get stock and it is within the law since you don't make profit from buying do you?  Selling is a little more difficult especially if you are doing it regularly.

As I said, I have just done the test and got the licence because it really isn't that difficult and when I sell the odd sheep or pig I don't have to worry about whether it is commercial,or not or whether I might hypothetically have to convince anyone else.

And actually the test did make me think a bit harder about some aspects of how to look after the animals when I am travelling. Not last of all the fact in a major traffic jam or the like I can contact Defra/the police to get us out of the jam. Something you might be reluctant to do if you are unsure if you are legal

The long distance stuff covers tachometers and certification of vehicles designed for journeys over 8 hours e.g powered ventilation and similar stuff so yes the journey length is relevant to animal welfare. 

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:03 pm »
yer  I did get hold of a sow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS