Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick goat  (Read 2816 times)

nessyt

• Joined Sep 2016
Sick goat
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:17:01 pm »
I've only had my GG & BG goatling for 2 weeks & im new to goats. They have settled in very well however 24 hours ago one of them developed diarrhoea and then this morning started being sick. I took her to the vet, temperature was normal. He did try to stomach tube her some rumen stimulant but struggled to get the liquid down as the tube was filled with a hay type mixture. He's given her a few injections & told me to keep a eye on her. The only thing I think she may of eaten is mixed corn that I feed my chickens. I'm so worried as she seems so ill. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Sick goat
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:23:25 pm »
Chicken feed is very bad for goats. Does sound like form of poisoning.  You need "childlocks" on everything with goats! Check grazing area if any poisonous plants as well just in case it wasn't chicken feed. Support her with a coat or lots of straw to keep her warm as when rumen not 100% they get cold quickly. Warm water to drink and hay, don't give any concentrates, she won't want them anyway just now.  Any deterioration contact your vet again. Hope she recovers soon. Yogurt drench or pro rumen(from vet) can help get her rumen going again.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:24:54 pm »
Hope she's ok. If she is lying down,  make her get up and walk round occasionally. Goats are very good at staying down when they aren't well and it's important that she doesn't stay down too long. Well done for getting her to the vet so promptly.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:21:15 am »
How is she this morning.
It does sound like she's eaten something poisonous, hopefully it'll work through her system and she's stating to feel better.
Just keep getting fluids into her, syringe into the back of her mouth if she won't drink.  The vet can give you rehydration fluids or give glucose in warm water with a pinch of salt in it.

nessyt

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:14:04 am »
Thank you for your replies & advice. I checked her in the night she seemed a lot better, she had drunk the glucose drink I put down for her and her poo was normal but this morning she's been sick again and looking poorly. I have to give her some more rumen stimulant this morning. Poor wee thing.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:30 am »
I had one who ate a plant she shouldn't have and was sick like this for a few days. I gave her honey water, vegetable goodies and ivy, she gradually got better.  :fc: for yours

nessyt

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:06 pm »
Just an update, my goat is so much better this afternoon. She's had honey water & black tea and been eating a little hay. She even tried to eat the other goats pellets. I'm so relieved, a big lesson learnt.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:58:14 pm »
Great news
I would keep her off concentrates for a few days at least
Hay, brambles,hawthorn shoots,dock leaves ect
Give her stomach chance to recover, make sure she is drinking enough and add some electrolites

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:38 pm »
Fantastic news. Really pleased for all of you!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:55:34 pm »
Now that IS good news. Now don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes - I nearly lost my first goat after she ate something she shouldn't have - we just have to learn from them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS