Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and request for advice for soon to be smallholder!  (Read 1848 times)

laura_moon

• Joined May 2017
Hello and request for advice for soon to be smallholder!
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:19 am »
Hello all!  I have been a long-time lurker, and have decided it is finally time to de-lurk and introduce myself!

I'm not yet a smallholder - have been dreaming of it for years, but my partner and I will finally be taking the plunge in a couple of years - we have to wait that long as our money is tied up until then.

Rather than being frustrated by the delay, I'm choosing to see it as a positive, in that it gives us a couple of years to do concerted research, do courses, and plan.  We're currently investigating different areas - West Wales, Mid Wales, Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley and Forest of Dean are the main areas we're currently looking at due to position of friends and family.  We're also trying to work out how much land we want/would be able to manage...

What I'd like to ask you all is what you would do in this waiting period to get as prepared as possible for the move?  We already have an allotment and large garden so already do lots of fruit and veg growing.  In the future, we'd definitely like to have a couple of pigs and chickens.  I have a dream of a couple of jersey cows but not sure that's really practical. 

Are there any things you did to prepare thta you found particularly useful?  Anything you wish you had done in advance?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Hello and request for advice for soon to be smallholder!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:28 am »
Hi Laura
Sorry can't offer any advice but just wanted to say hello and welcome to the best site around!  :wave: I am sure someone will be along shortly with useful advice  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:11:51 am by nimbusllama »

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:49:50 am »
Welcome  :wave:

I wish I had gone on some more courses (but I quite like courses). I also could have had more of a go at preserves. If you hve fruit and veg growing already then you can work on jams, chutneys, dried fruits etc. You can also buy milk to work on learning how to make your own cheeses and yoghurts, and meat to make your own sausages and bacon. Trying to find time to learn new skills whilst you're setting new things up and keeping on top of the animals and growing you already have can be really hard.

Growing some stuff in our garden helped me a bit but there is so much more I still have to learn (we've been at our smallholding 18 months or so now).

If you have a large garden you could look at getting chickens now to get comfortable with them.

You could also look at buying meat from current smallholders, getting to know different breeds, what to expect etc. If you can visit smallholdings do, it really does help to walk around someone else's place and get ideas of things you like and don't like.

Good luck

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:08:20 am »
How exciting :)

I'd investigate places nearby to you where you can volunteer, to learn and develop your skills.  Have a look at WWOOF, maybe take your holidays as WWOOFers from now on.

We're not WWOOF hosts here, but we are a community with small farm for our own provisions, and milk our Jersey cow.  We have volunteer weeks.  There are dozens, if not hundreds, of places who similarly grow / produce, and take volunteers.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:13:32 am »
I'd echo Dans and get three hens for eggs just now. But then I'm biased and think hens are great! If you build a really good house and run with small mesh size wire and make it fox and rat proof, and use several feeders/drinkers, you can create a set up where they can mostly look after themselves. Neighbours rarely mind topping up a few water bottles if they get to help themselves to fresh eggs as a reward.
Also, I'd go away on holiday, as much as you can because once there's pets, poultry, cattle and pigs you may struggle!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:50 am »
I'd echo the above - re making cheese, butter, sausages etc. It will inject a bit of realism  :)

At this stage, you can do anything, but the truth is, you can't do everything - so I think what you are doing is spot on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS