Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pregnant/lactating ewes and clik  (Read 4523 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
pregnant/lactating ewes and clik
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:08:06 pm »
We had our ewes shorn pre-lambing but they were shorn with hand shears so still had a good covering of wool. We didn't clik them at the time and now we are in the middle of lambing. With the warm wet weather I'm wondering if it is ok to use clik whilst feeding lambs/pregnant? The data sheet just says that there is no data so I'm wondering what other people do?

Also the lambs are very small (<3kg) and young, I would imagine I don't clik them yet? Again the data sheet doesn't mention a minimum weight but only gives dosage instructions from 10kg.

It was much simplier last year when we didn't have lambs!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: pregnant/lactating ewes and clik
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 07:30:00 pm »
I've never clik-ed the new lambs, but the ewes are usually treated over spring/summer, while they are suckling the lambs, so it must be ok? I'm trying to recall specific occasions but..er...
Do be careful yourselves with it though, it's effective but nasty stuff to get on your skin / spray near your face.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:59:39 pm »
You shouldn't need to worry about flystrike yet, just dag any really mucky bums.  Can't remember exactly but don't think you can clik ewes with suckling lambs.  As you've had yours sheared they should be fine.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:27 pm »
You shouldn't need to worry about flystrike yet, just dag any really mucky bums.  Can't remember exactly but don't think you can clik ewes with suckling lambs.  As you've had yours sheared they should be fine.

Had a bad case of strike this week in one of my ewes, clean behind and crutched before lambing but was struck on her back. Being shorn next week. Lambs will have first crovect too although they are 6-9 weeks old. So I would be extra vigilant the warm wet weather is now perfect conditions for strike.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:51:05 pm »
Nothing to dag on these girls. Just worried about the warm wet weather. I have two that aren't in lamb so will clik them tomorrow as we have a dry spell. Just now worried about the pregnant two and two with lambs. Will give the vet a call and see what they think.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:19:44 am »
Don't Clik. They are shorn, well-kept and low risk. Castlemilks do resist strike pretty well. In my experience if they are not scouring I am 99.9999% sure they will not get struck. If they are scouring (in the greenbottle season- mid-late summer) then chances are higher - in which case de-worm ASAP and keep a constant lookout for greenbottles on their posteriors!

I know my view is controversial but Clik is really nasty ( containing Dicyclanil a synthetic pyrethroid) which pollutes the environment and is one of the over-used pesticides (and herbicides) that is contributing to the current massive (but generally unnoticed) reduction in insect diversity and also a risk to human health (they will defecate and urinate it onto your land). Just keep your eyes peeled for greenbottles and signs of strike if you have a small no. of well-kept, non-scouring sheep.

The ones you are going to eat? there is an official Clik withdrawal period of 40 days(?!!!) for meat (but in reality I think it will be longer and still be in the meat).

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:06:56 am »
I only have 5 ewes and 12 lambs, they all come twice a day for a small feed so I just check them over then. Its easy when there are lambs to watch just to waste ( spend) time just watching them, the only case of fly strike that I ever had was found very quickly.
Anne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:59 pm »
I usually Clik lambs when I've seen six greenbottles in a day. However, tow of our tegs have had flystrike in the last couple of days - the cloudburst on Thursday evening followed by two sunny afternoons has had an effect.  I Clik shorn ewes once the fleece is about 1cm long - long enough for the maggots to cling to.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:25 am »
Fieldfare whilst I agree the environment effect of clic is not good and needs to be researched further.... You comments on withdrawal and meat are scaremongering and unnecessary.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:54 am »
I agree with Fieldfare! With organic you are limited on what products used and its x3 withdrawal therefore 120 days because due to research its still in the system.  Yes agree it gets in the soils and river course.  What hasnt been studied properly is the chemical residue on humans skin and I do beleive farmers who have worked with modern chemicals are more prone to neurological diseases compared to pre WW2 when there was no chemicals and farmers lived to 80/90yrs old.

We dont dip etc While we have easycare/wilts they lose their coats anyway.  Once shorn you have reduced the risk and if animals are well managed etc you shouldnt need to cover in chemicals. Last year even when their coats have a layer of wool we had no issues. Again lambs no issues. Dont think weve ever dipped lambs here either.   Youve just got to keep an eye on for weak or skin damaged sheep I really dont think its necessary on a low input sheep system to be dosing animals without evidence of need.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:14 pm »
It's a really different equation depending on your location and climate, lifestyle, breed or type of sheep, and many other factors.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from putting the welfare of their livestock first; untreated flystrike is a dreadful thing.  People who are experienced in spotting early signs, and who are able to keep a very close eye on their sheep (being able to see them all properly at least twice a day in the fly season, and catch them and treat them immediately if any show any sign of strike), and whose locale and microclimate and/or type of sheep mitigate against strike may very well find they can do without the chemicals.  Novice owners, smallholders with day jobs, and people in warmer, moister, less windy places with fleece (not shedding) sheep, may well find that the chemicals are a necessary evil.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
Fieldfare whilst I agree the environment effect of clic is not good and needs to be researched further.... You comments on withdrawal and meat are scaremongering and unnecessary.

+1, withdrawal periods are not plucked out of nowhere but researched throughly so we are sure the meat we eat is safe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS