Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Close quarters brooding  (Read 2102 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Close quarters brooding
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:56:37 am »
My muscovies are first time sitting on their eggs. One started a couple of weeks before the other.
The thing is the second lady started sitting practically in the same nest. They seemed to have teamed up to both sit at the same time.

Seeing as one set will hatch earlier than the other what kind of issues could arise will the second lady react badly in anyway?

Thanks  :&>

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Close quarters brooding
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:08:29 pm »
I would expect them to both to try to mother the first ones to hatch- that may result in fighting and crushed chicks? They need to be separated to their own clutch and kept so.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:10:39 pm »
I would expect them to both to try to mother the first ones to hatch- that may result in fighting and crushed chicks? They need to be separated to their own clutch and kept so.
Agreed  :thumbsup:
Had 2 chickens do the same thing years ago,chicks hatched and they both tried to mother them and they ended up crushed then the 2nd hen did not return to her eggs so a total loss as i had no other broody or incubator at the time.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:47 pm »
I agree - this never has a happy ending otherwise.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »
I am going to try moving her to a different house.
We had a check when she went out for a drink and there 'any obvious eggs under her half of the nest

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:45 pm »
I survived the maulings and moved the second muscovy duck to a whole new  house with her eggs although she doesnt seem interested on sitting on them right away. She seems more interested in trying return to the house she was sharing before.

I locked her away overnight with her eggs so she can't roam the run.

Any tips for getting her back to sitting again or now she has been moved will she just be an angry duck?
 :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS