Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sibling gilts - together or apart?  (Read 2719 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Sibling gilts - together or apart?
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:59:24 pm »
We have two Saddleback gilts, about a year old, bought as weaners and kept together ever since. We used AI for one and she should be farrowing at the beginning of August.  We have had difficulty detecting the other's cycle and are about to move her into a pen adjoining our senior boar with the aim of getting his help in spotting when she is ready.  We also think she will be ok to cope with him now - we planned AI for her sibling when we concerned he was too big for them.

Anyway, we were planning to move the pair together but the one that is in pig is the dominant sibling and although they get on well generally she is occasionally pushing her sister around quite aggressively.  So  do you think we should keep them together at this point or separate them - if the latter they will still be in sight and scent of each other.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Sibling gilts - together or apart?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:14:13 pm »
A danger is that even, if they get on, the gilt without piglets may inadvertently lie on the litter.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »
Yes, guess we were thinking that when dominant gilt, who is in pig, got close to farrowing she would move into maternity suite by herself,  So they might as well be separated now as in six weeks time.  Thanks, you have helped me think things through.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:47:02 pm »
i have had a couple of pair of sisters live and farrow together, but never again. twice it's been a problem, not directly because of crushing, but once we thought we had two successful farrowings in a night and actually one hadn't finished and we nearly lost the sow and the next time with that same pair one farrowed too far in advance of the other so the first litter were big enough to muscle the little ones away from their own mum

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:00:56 pm »
Absolutely right to separate before farrrowing and at that point the pregnant sow should be happy to move into the farrowing area.

You could split the gilts but you might find they get stressed and you don't want that for the in pig one. I think it rather depends on what you plan for the maiden gilt. If you plan to put her with the boar and leave her in there once she cycles then you could split them at that point.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:13:16 pm »
If you plan to put her with the boar and leave her in there once she cycles then you could split them at that point.

So far we have just done supervised mating in a small neutral area rather than letting the sow run with the boar.

Thank you for your thoughts.  Our thoughts so far are to move the maiden gilt in to an enclosure next to the boar and leave the in pig one where she is.  They will still be in sight and scent of each other - although will that make separation worse!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:21:30 am »
Just go with your plan then change it if you need to.

I let my boar have female company until they get close to farrowing otherwise he has a very sedentary life.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »
I move in-pig sows into their farrowing quarters at least three weeks before their due date.  If you have the boar running alongside the empty gilt, rather than in with her, you may find he destroys the fence when she starts brimming.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:05:32 pm »
Just go with your plan then change it if you need to.

Thank you.  That sounds like sound advice that can be applied to most situations!

Grateful for everyone's thoughts - as always on TAS, useful perspectives that have helped me think it through.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:38 pm »
Just to say that this maiden gilt has now been next to the boar for several rounds of three weeks.  They enjoy nose to nose chats but not once in this time has he become foamingly excited as he does when near a sow in season.

She is now fifteen months old and we have not been able to detect any signs of brimming - nor has the boar...?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 09:33:41 am »
Might be worth having a word with your vet.  How much condition is she carrying?  Has she had any infections or diseases in her lifetime?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS