Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Facebook posts showing animal abuse - what can be done?  (Read 2632 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Facebook posts showing animal abuse - what can be done?
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »
So upset by some recent posts on Facebook showing horrific animal cruelty - one clearly showing guilty parties gloating.  Facebook must surely be able to trace who posts them in the first place?  If I showed it to the police would they take action?     Something can surely be done about this!!!  When you report the post on Facebook it gives the option of asking the person who posted it to remove it - but it's not the person who put it on in the first place.  :rant: 

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Facebook posts showing animal abuse - what can be done?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:35:50 pm »
If you know or have good reason to beleive that a crime has been committed then you have a duty as a citizen to report it to the proper authorities. If it were a bit of inappropriate swearing or nudity or something then I would think Facebook would be the correct body to report it. If you think there's s crime, police, in my opinion, although you don't say what the cruelty is, I'm assuming some sort of dog fighting or something, Rather than a dog that looks a bit tired or muddy or similar?
 I once clicked a link to a video of a girl laughing as she drowned a litter of puppies in a river, it's haunted me.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »
Thanks Steph hen.  Unfortunately much worse than tired or muddy and would rather not give detail for fear of upsetting anyone else who reads it!  As you say such things haunt you and they can't be unseen. Have considered giving up Facebook due to several horrible images that you get no warning of.  Sheep worrying being another issue - I get it that some people will benefit from seeing such images so that they understand the impact of their dog not being on a lead but as a sheep breeder it's awful.  There really should be a warning that graphic images will follow.

If I am unfortunate enough to view a similar abuse picture in future I will take it to rspca or the police.  Unfortunately the one I raised the question about would be very difficult to find now.  I should have done it at the time.  It's played on my mind ever since hence deciding to post today. 

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:34 pm »
Thanks Scarlet.dragon.  Not good with Facebook so didn't notice if uk or not - shocked by the picture.  I think Facebook should have an obligation to report such posts to the police when they are reported to them (maybe they already do?)

It was one of those posts where it was shared on to a Facebook page of someone you don't know and I was just flicking through quickly and it was there and I couldn't unsee it.  Feel bad that I didn't just go to the police station at the time but upset me greatly and couldn't bear to look at it again and it has troubled me since.  Hopefully someone else did.I dont think I could find it again now but will definitely take to the police/s.s.p.c.a if it happens again.  Can it be shared straight to a police or s.s.p.c.a Facebook page or website to report it?

Thanks

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:12:18 am »
Any sort of online abuse can be hidden or deleted very quickly, so always take a screenshot that shows the image and also the browser address, or some kind of identifying information. Facebook and Twitter do sweet FA about it, but lots of local police have an online reporting facility. Unfortunately if the crime occurred elsewhere, your local police probably can't investigate.

NotQuiteASmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Hillside, Montrose, Angus
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:56 am »
Any posts which show illegal activity can be reported to your local police force, even if it falls outwith their jurisdiction they will have the procedures in place to have this passed on to the relevant authority.

Sharing the post to the force's Facebook page is unlikely to get a response, but if as previously suggested you can get a screenshot of the offending information this can likely be sent through to the relevant department once a report has been raised. If video is a live stream of an ongoing crime it can be reported through 999, otherwise the 101 service will be able to take details and conduct necessary investigation to trace the source.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:34:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful and informative. 

Scarlet.dragon - I do get the purpose of sharing the sheep worrying posts to try and get the message through, I just wish there could be a way of always having a warning page before it ( but then the people you're trying to reach may not choose to look) can't win really  :( . Sad to read about the rescue dog - you're right - there are plenty of people who shouldn't have animals.  Good to have a rant now and again  :) 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS