Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eaters, again! :(  (Read 1618 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Egg eaters, again! :(
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:04:28 am »
One of my older warrens suddenly decided to start eating the newly laid eggs in the coop, this started about a week ago. At first I thought it could have been a deficiency in something, so I made sure they had access to oyster shell grit, I think it is, I also have been giving them fresh vegetables, like the middle of butternut squash, they love it, they also get carrots, grated, with grated garlic (which they also love). We then put a rubber egg in their coop, she went beserk for it when she saw it, but after a while just kicked it out of the coop. I have been removing the eggs more frequently than I was, as things are a bit easier now since lambing has finished. My question now is this... By me removing the eggs more frequently will this get rid of the problem or will she permanently be an egg eater? I have had a problem similar to this ages ago, but it just turned out to be a bit of a faze. However because she is an older hen will this behaviour stick?
Cheers
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Egg eaters, again! :(
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:57:41 am »
Pop some lemons in the nest box or fill eggs with mustard or similar.

Make sure nest boxes are dark.

Collect eggs as often as possible.

No reason that she won't stop just because she is an older girl.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:00 am »
Cull.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
Had egg eater some years ago, sorted it by filling emptied egg shell with mustard and chili powder. :yuck:  Only took a few days. 

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:22:19 pm »
Blow a few eggs fill with mustard/horse radish they wont do it again or roll away nest box, seen them on ebay  :thumbsup:
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:42:14 pm »
thanks guys, will certainly try as you suggest. Not really wanting to cull her TBH, she was a present from my brother and she is coming up for 7-8, ex battery hen, and she is still laying well and is a good broody. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS