Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crows  (Read 3523 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Crows
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:41:40 am »
I am fed up with crows stealing duck eggs and goose eggs. I dont want to confine the birds but if they can go in and out of houses to lay then so can the crows. Anyone got a solution that doesn't involve killing crows?

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Crows
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:41:19 am »
I found hanging a feed bag cut into strips from the top of the door kept them out of the hen house for a few weeks, but they learnt to walk through it. A small run outside the house with more bags cut into strips kept them out for another while, but the odd brave one still got through.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:13:15 am »
They are so clever and soon work out how to get round anything that is put up. My chickens are now kept in until late morning but I do have them in a stable with a netting roof. In bad weather I shut the barn doors so they do get the run of the place. the crows even chase away the cat and have his food !!!!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:53 am »
I thought you hang a dead crow close and it fends them off? They do need to be controlled.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:09:03 am »
I have two dead crows hung on a tree, which I move around every couple of days.  It works.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »
 The crows started with taking duck eggs and then moved onto attacking and killing our ducks - we've lost two over the last week or so with another one wounded on its back.

Weve now totally covered the duck run with some scaffolding netting which hopefully will keep the bu@@ers out.
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »
We had a mallard with nine ducklings on the slurry lagoon (it's very clean).  The crows swooped down like sea eagles and carried eight off. The ninth survived for a couple more days but we haven't seen it since .....

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:01:04 pm »
We had a crow stealing hen and duck eggs from our big hen shed and a small broody run, we trapped and despatched it in the broody run, solved the problem for now. It was done humanely and quickly.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 11:51:18 pm »
Staying around, showing up as much as you can is the only thing they don't like. I have tried pottage, wooden and even marble eggs as a deterrent which all got stolen. Very clever and determined birds, crows, maybe the odd one got a sore beak. Never leave ducklings without protection from attacks. marka, I would like to know if you actually saw that it was crows attacking your ducks. I've never come across that in all the years I've watched, they co-exist well besides stealing eggs and feed.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:22:29 am »
Hi there,

Whilst we didn't see the crows attacking the 2 ducks who died, they were seen pecking the back of the one who survived but was shooed off before it did too much damage - the poor duck was wounded to the bone though.

The crows have now moved onto stealing eggs from the chickens but so far no sign of any attacks on the chickens.

There are two large crow roosts near to us and both landowners have now started shooting them so they have obviously been a major problem this year for everyone local to us.

Regards
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 10:50:29 am »
Corvid numbers seem to have exploded here this year.  Not only crows but jackdaws and magpies too.   I guess pressure on the parents to find food for the chicks is causing them to become bolder than ever. 

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 08:00:48 pm »
not being funny marka but are you sure they are crows and not ravens? I've had crows take occasional eggs and they are always about-never had one have a go at either chicken or duck (not adults anyway, I keep youngsters netted). I've never had crows go through tunnels/under nets etc to get in either but ravens do-see my other post.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:03 am »
I have two dead crows hung on a tree, which I move around every couple of days.  It works.

Yes I also hang dead crows from a tree next to the coop.
It keeps the magpies away as well.

If all else fails a Larson or Ladder traps work very well.
As long as your comfortable dispatching after you have caught them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:31 pm »
I think it's a good idea to apply for a licence to control ravens if they're a problem.  (They are around here, when they wait for a ewe to lie down to lamb her second twin then swoop in for the anus, tongue, navel and eyes of the first.)  Perhaps if more folks did the next lot of legislation to protect species or introduce those that haven't existed in these islands for centuries would be more thoughtfully and sensibly framed.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 06:05:16 pm »

hanging a dead crow only worked for me one year, its not worked since, whatsoever.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS