Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock fencing cost & advice  (Read 7158 times)

jamesm2289

• Joined Feb 2016
Stock fencing cost & advice
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:51:55 pm »
Hello!

I have a stock fencing dilemma. We have staked out an area that is around 50m x 50m in the woods for the pigs but one side is annoyingly just over 50m so I can't use a 50m roll. Is it worth using gripples, and buying the expensive tool to use the gripples and joining two lengths of 50m lengths to make the 51m or should I go with the 100m length and cut it to size?

Also, where does everyone get their fencing from? Have had a look online and this seems to be about the cheapest... https://mcveighparker.com/fencing/wire-fencing/stock-netting/sheep-netting/product/stock-fencing-hinge-jointed-c8-80-15/category_pathway-390

100m of C8 - 80 - 15 for £78.

Cheers for your help!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Stock fencing cost & advice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:58 pm »
Is this price including delivery?
I bought a 50m roll of 4 foot high fence for 40 something pounds on ebay including delivery.
Now I need more to make a "toddler proof" barrier between garden and the brook. As well as diving paddocks.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »
100m rolls are very heavy, so bear that in mind.  If your terrain is rough then stick with 50m rolls, even though it is cheaper to buy 100m rolls.  You don't need to use gripples to join rolls together.  Do some googling, there are a number of wire knots you can use, like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YHr-v9vSE
If you have left over stock netting don't worry, you'll find a use for it eventually :) .
As for suppliers, any local agri store or fencing place should stock stock-netting. Tornado is a popular make.  C8/80/15 is the correct size for what you need.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:44:10 pm »
put a tentioning stake in the middle at 25m - buy three rools of 50 - you got a few spare rolls of fence offcuts then for repairs.- or do it in one and jst use wood to do the end bit with half rounds.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »
sometimes - you just gota use whats to hand and not worry about the asthetics

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
Have dealt with McVeighParker and found them good.Carriage free in Norfolk is I think £200. Doesn't take much to get to that! Posts pretty cheap.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09:26:38 pm »
You don't need to use gripples to join rolls together.  Do some googling, there are a number of wire knots you can use, like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71YHr-v9vSE

Very useful video, Foobar. I've been looking for that video for years :thinking:

With gripples, I have found that I can use them to join netting quite easily by using mole grips to draw the wire through the jaws of a pair of fencing pliers. No doubt it would be much faster using the proper tool, but I only need to do the job once or twice a year. (And no guarantee I would be able to find the tool even if I bought one...)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS