Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar Aggression - what to expect?  (Read 1993 times)

u06jgg

• Joined Apr 2015
Boar Aggression - what to expect?
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:17:10 am »
I have recently acquired 4 GOS/Berkshire cross weaners. They are all whole boars and about 5 weeks old though one looks a bit older.  The vet offered to castrate, but I'd rather not. I think they are a bit grown up for it now? They are currently in a 10x10m pen but will probably move to a 1/4 acre later. One will be going to a BBQ in a month, so only really 3 to think about. The rest will be killed out at weight at about 6 months. So i'm wondering what to expect with their behavior, both with respect to each other, and to myself. Last year I raised a Kune Kune guilt and barrow and they were friendly like dogs.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Re: Boar Aggression - what to expect?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:26:07 am »
The last time we had weaners we had 3 gilts and a boar. The boar never caused any issues. He did get noticeably bigger than the gilts. We sent them off at about 8 months. I'm not sure if it will be different when its all boars, I'd expect that as they're not getting up to full maturity the testosterone may not kick in in time to give you problems. There will be many more on here that have a lot more experience than I do though and may know otherwise.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 11:45:09 am »
You should have no problems at all, they will chase, play and tussle with each other, which is normal behaviour for both sexes. The more attention you give them the quieter they will be.

My top tip: get them used with the trailer so it is not scary, feed them in it every so often and they will literally  run into the back, this will save you a lot of hassle on the day they go away. I trailer-train mine from weaning, so it takes two minutes to load up on the abattoir trip.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
I agree.  They may get a bit more lively as they near slaughter weight but the pecking order will be well established and without any gilts to show off to and plenty of room to play around in they should be fine.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:40:57 pm »
I wouldn't expect any aggression at all! I like to either keep all girls or all boys, especially is their slower maturing breeds. I imagine as soon as the gilts start to come into season there will be a surge in testostorne and then I'd understand if he became agressive/protective.

I have to walk through my pigs enclosure to get to their trough and sometimes when their big they can be a bit boistorous and I've been nipped a few times. I carry an old snapped poly post, and give them a tap to keep them away

u06jgg

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:29 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Between these and the opinion of a local pig farmer running 70 boars and 90 sows together with no issues, I think I will just let nature run its course.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:09:34 am »
As the others have said, they should be daft rather than dangerous, only your wellies are at risk of attack  :)

I'm curious about the one going for BBQ at around 10 weeks old, though- I've got 10 week old Landrace (so naturally taller and longer) and I can't picture them filling a grill yet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS