Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ever lasting kale plant available ( Chou d' Aubenton ?? )  (Read 3045 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
A few weeks ago I took 20 " slips " off  the oldest largest  of the kales I had in the garden to clear a couple of square foot beds for carrots .

I've taken three for myself the rest are available in pairs for any one that wants some .
By the end of May they will be going intothe compost heap if no one asks for them

So itf you want a cpuple drop me a pm with yoyr full name addrss 7 post code  & I'll post them off on a first come first served basis till they run out.

To make new replacement plants   let th main plant run to being leggy . There will be thirty or so  6 mm thick X 250 mm long stalks  with leaves at the ends.  Tear one of these leggy pieces back down the plants stem so you get a heel on the slip . You can either dip it in hormone powder  first or pop it neat in moist soil .

Once you notice the larger leaves dying off the new ones will form & the plant will start putting out new fine hair roots.
  Once the new plant is about 100 mm tall  transplant it in to a well manured  soil & 1 mtr apart in all directions .
 If you have the mycrohizial ( sp ) fungi that enhances root growth , a half teaspoon down the planting hole will give your plant an amazing root ball . Water it in well after you have transplanted the new plants & filled the hole up

The kale is best eaten  when the leaves are  soft & new  green  .
We boil ours in salted water then toss them in a knob of butter & a couple of twists of black pepper once they have been  drained off .

Some folks are also heavily into juicing them , making kales crisps , eating it in stir fry's , fine cut & added in tiny bits in to a home made minestrone soup or  having some fine shredded in a salad .

Pigs , goats  & chickens love them raw . if you take three or four sets of cuttings over April to late September , water them in well  you can have plenty of this kale all year round .

Cabbage whites only seem to attack them as a last resort if there are other greens growing in the garden .

With a bit of thought it would not be difficult to plant up a 30 x 30 mtr bed of this kale to give you a cheap stock feed .   Each plant can get about 1 mtr in diameter by about 800 mm high .  Sometimes  I've had to use branch loppers to cut the 40 mm thick stalks at their bases to allow me to dig out the root ball .

A fully mature plant left to make slips should give you forty or more at the first slip harvesting session & another set  of similar numbers of slips about 8 weeks afterwards  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Ever lasting kale plant available ( Chou d' Aubenton ?? )
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
I have a selection already but if anyone's not sure, I can confirm that the plants are pretty indestructible, young leaves tender enough for salads, pests not yet been a problem, etc et

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:14:59 am »
Four requestfor the Kale  so far .

This is what I hope to do .. I'll pick the plants early Monday morning , get them packed in wet paper toweling , inside a tied off poly bag  . I'll  put them in small strong cardboard boxes & get in the post at a big Post Office half an hour or so before the noon collection .

This should see that they are delivered to you guys & gals  before the weeks end .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:56:40 am »
Im excited! Thank you!  :garden:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:12:00 pm »
All picked , packed in a clean untied polybag  & posted 15 May 2017

Stand them in clean cool water for 24 hrs when you get them & plant them at least 3 foot ( one metre ) between  the plants.

Put the plants in well cultivated weed free soil almost up to the leaves & water them in well ... if it ever starts to dry up , ensure they are well watered each day till you see new growth appearing.

Where to plant ... ?
 Full open sun shine is best  .
They will tolerate slight shade for four or so hours during the day time but not heavy all day shade .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:25 pm »
Have you any more Clod ?   PM'd address
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 12:50:06 pm »
Yes , come & collectthem along with all the old plants .
 I've  PM''d you , it's likely to be cheaper than the postage , if you come & visit wet dreary Ammanford for a supermarket shop at Tesco's or Lidl's  as you live quite close to our place .

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »
Kale just arrived and they look great. Thanks very much!

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 06:47:05 am »
Kale arrived safely.
Thanks again
William  :thumbsup:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:32:40 am »
Thank you kale all planted now

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:04:53 am »
Arrived on Wednesday! Postman left the parcel outside at the back of the house - completely soaked  :roflanim:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS