Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wash fleece but keep lanolin  (Read 3399 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Wash fleece but keep lanolin
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:45:07 am »
Hi all,

So I've finally got some crafting times and managed to do a small pegloom rug. I would quite like to use it as a mat to sit on outside and would like to keep some (well a lot) of the lanolin in for it's waterproofing. I worked in the grease but would like to give the rug a bit of a wash. Is there a way to wash without losing the lanolin?

My previous attempts at washing fleece, or rugs made in the grease, has been the hot hot water method I got from here. (Ecover in a bath of hot water, no bubbles, 20 mins, lift out, refil with hot water and ecover, 20 mins, lift out, refil with hot water only, 20 mins, lift out and leave to dry).

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Wash fleece but keep lanolin
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:58 am »
Lanolin needs really hot water to wash it out, so you could wash the rug in warm water and some soap, soak it fir a bit and then rinse in cool water. This should get rid of dirt but leave the lanolin still in the wool.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 07:10:11 pm »
As Louise says.  You need heat and detergent to shift grease, so use less of either to wash it without removing all the lanolin :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:15:02 am »
Thanks I'll give it a go Weds as we should have good drying weather then.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:38 pm »
Well I went for warm rather than hot water, with plenty of ecover. It cleaned up quite nicely but now it has dried it has a musty smell. I don't remember this happening with the last 'in the grease' rug I made, but that was a few years back. Anything I can do to rid the smell? Wash it again? It was a cool spell when I washed it so it took about 3 days to dry, not sure if that made it more smelly.

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:07:28 pm »
That seems the most likely, Dans. If you can hang it outside for a couple of days it may clear. If not, you'll have to wash it again.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:41:13 pm »
Happy to say that a few days inside (airing cabinet and then spare room) and it is smelling fine! Now to get making some more  :excited:

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS