Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garden produce section at the Scottish Smallholder show  (Read 2525 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Garden produce section at the Scottish Smallholder show
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:51 pm »
Having been ill in bed all this week, today was my first day in the garden for a while.  The growth is lovely to see.  It inspired me suddenly to think of the smallholder show at Lanark, and entering some of my produce there.  In the past we've always been too tied up with the sheep showing bit, and the gossip, but it's time to change!  Animals aren't the only part of smallholding, and I think probably most of us have a veg patch.  So let's make this year better than last, and the one before that, and so on  :garden:

We'll be having a posh judge who won't want to come all this way to judge just a few meagre offerings - I'm thinking of some of the events where the veggie section seems to fill a whole tent.  Quite something to aim for.   So come on, lets get growing and showing  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:   Who's going to be joining me?

So with an aim to my veg having some examples in top condition for the end of August, has anyone got any tips for how to sow and manage crops to be ready at a certain time?  I've never tried this before, in fact I've only entered one veg show before and I just sent along what was ready.

Any tips too for producing show quality veg?  What are the rules on presentation?  Anything else I need to know? 

:carrot: :pepper: :brocolli: :tomato: :chili: :corn: :peas: :cucumber: :spud: :squash:

:garden: :garden: :garden: :garden: :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Garden produce section at the Scottish Smallholder show
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:43:34 am »
Thank you, Fleecewife :thumbsup:

I think we have some cracking classes and some cracking prizes -entries were up 25% in 2016 over 2015 so it would be great to build on this for 2017.

And don't forget the turnip lantern class :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Try the National Vegetable Society for show bench tips  :trophy:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Get growing for the Scottish Smallholder show
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »
Thanks Rosemary.  I'll take a look at the NVS site, but I'm hoping for some more personal tips from local growers who know the local conditions.

I know [member=23029]lintmill[/member] will be there, so who else is up for it?  I haven't noted the entries in previous years, but there must be lots of smallholders with veg patches - and if not, then now's the time to start!!  :garden:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:21:49 pm »

<<< So with an aim to my veg having some examples in top condition for the end of August, has anyone got any tips for how to sow and manage crops to be ready at a certain time?  I've never tried this before, in fact I've only entered one veg show before and I just sent along what was ready.>>> 

Well, I've failed with my cauliflowers .  They are brilliant and tasty and sweet, but they will all have to be eaten or turned into piccalilli in the next couple of weeks - no chance of them lasting until the show.

I hope I have something that's in peak condition at the right time.  I suppose I couldn't expect to get it right at the first try.

[member=23029]lintmill[/member] how is your veg garden produce shaping up?[/font]

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:43:14 am »
Hello FW....

Veg plot and poly really doing well currently,  huge crop of french and broad beans, 20kg+ of strawbs so a jar will be entered into the Smallholer and GROWERS show at lanark.

The Cauliflowers are coming on and the squash are beginning to crawl all over the poly frame.  Lots more also...

Anything that I have ready which I can show I will,  hope it is not a fight for that first prize between the two of us......

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:23 pm »
No, I think the resounding silence on the subject is because everyone is secretly growing away, getting massive specimens so they can go "ta da" on show day, and sweep the board  :roflanim: :garden:

Your veg patch and tunnel sound so productive Colin, and I know from past visits it will all be wonderful.  I'd love it if I could win just one little rosette  :carrot: :chili: :peas: :cucumber: :spud: :squash: :tomato: :blackberry:  but it all needs to get growing.  Doesn't help that there's so little sunshine  :raining: :gloomy: :sunshine:

Keep on growing  :garden:  and making jam, cordials etc

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:17:19 pm »
Redcurrant jelly today............... :stir:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:44:03 am »
I managed to wrest some redcurrants and blackcurrants from the blackbirds today, destined for Black and Red Goose Jamelly in the morning  :yum:   If they hadn't had every raspberry that's ripe, it could have been first instar of Summer Garden Jam  (I get bored writing plain jampot labels....)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS