Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long to leave a new colony before looking in the hive?  (Read 3209 times)

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
I've done an 'intro' course and bought the gear. I'm picking up an over wintered colony tomorrow to locate in my apiary but am not sure how long to let them settle for before the first inspection.
I have joined my local association of the BBKA but have yet to attend my first meeting so any advice would be appreciated.
The colony comes in a national brood chamber and I have two supers and the other bits to make a complete hive. Can I combine them all straight away or should the brood settle?
I'm hoping to get more considered advice in the fullness of time, and maybe a mentor but right now, I'm jumping in with both feet and no experience!
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food!

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: How long to leave a new colony before looking in the hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:33:13 pm »
I'm no expert but I'd certainly leave them for a while after they arrive.  They can be a bit miffed after they've been moved - the advice I got when moving a hive was to open the entrance to the hive and leg it! 

Weather would probably be your next concern, don't open the hive if its rainy or too windy, or if it's too cold, I think above 13 degrees is probably OK.  That's a balmy summers evening in Scotland ????

There are a some really good bee people on here who can probably give you more advice than me... But this is something to start with.  Good luck...

... Oh, be gentle with the frames if you are inspecting them for the first time on your own (ideally you should have someone that knows what they are doing).  Start from one side and leave the first frame out the hive as you inspect the others.  Banging frames or rubbing bees against each other is another sure way to upset them.

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:52:40 am »
Well they're here and settling in. After advice from Paynes I won't let them access a super just yet but the morning sun has prompted the first pathfinders to start exploring!
I guess I start learning for real now!

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:43:08 pm »
do you still have the travelling screen in that hive?

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:40:05 am »
No but thanks for the prompt.
I took the transit screen out straight away. They are foraging well and busy from dawn to dusk. It's been chilly overnights but the dawn sun wakes them up and I have allowed access to a super with a queen excluder in place.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
the time to add a super is when they are just about filling the brood box, time now to look at swarm control

Birchlea

• Joined Jul 2016
  • East Sussex
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:04:02 pm »
Thanks Veg.
I have joined my local BBKA branch and will be attending a meeting on Sunday so should get some top tips then including swarm control. My bees have been here for a week now so I should think about a check soon but will ask the more experienced keepers on Sunday.
I'm looking forward to learning!

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:07:46 pm »
Glad to answer any questions, I was apiary manager for my local association and had 15 hives myself, but due to family matters had to sell up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS