Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs maintenance costs?  (Read 5509 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Dogs maintenance costs?
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:28:02 pm »
I've always wanted to have a dog but we lives in an apartment untill I was 17, even later my mum never liked any animals, now that I am married and live in a house with lots of garden space and livestock my wife doesn't mind goats or chickens but is scared of dogs but the other day she told me not to buy any more chickens untill I get a guarding dog!
I've seen one that I like a lot - carpatian shepherd - beautiful large dog a bit like maremma but grey.

My question is how much do you feed and how much roughly do you think it would cost to feed a dog of this size? Obviously there are other costs like vet etc but will this dog eat my wallet? Or will there be anything left?  ;D
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Dogs maintenance costs?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »
we have 4 giant breeds, they eat £2-3/day of food, one costed us £3500 at age 4 at hospital in London, another cost £1500 at hospital at Fitzpatricks last year at 4 years old, another is on medication that would cost a normal owner £250/month. (my OH is a vet, so medication is cost price)

If any surpass 10 years old we'll be very happy

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:04:11 pm »
Bye bye wallet!

It really depends on lots of different factors. Generally the better the food the more expensive. Also depends massively on energy level. My old collie eats twice as much as a lazy Labrador who is twice her size.
On the other hand, a poor/cheap diet could set off health issues and end up costing more at vet.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:40 pm »
If cost is your main deciding factor in whether to get a dog or not - then don't.  Do you have the experience to train a guarding breed? Can you give commitment to them for 10-12 years? And why would your wife not be frightened of this dog?  A guarding dog can take the mickey with a weaker handler.

I'd look into electric fencing...
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:15 pm »
If cost is your main deciding factor in whether to get a dog or not - then don't.  Do you have the experience to train a guarding breed? Can you give commitment to them for 10-12 years? And why would your wife not be frightened of this dog?  A guarding dog can take the mickey with a weaker handler.

I'd look into electric fencing...
That's not my main concern, I'm just asking to make my research into all the aspects of animal keeping.
I do have experience with dogs as although we never had one at home my grandmother, uncles and aunt used to have rough pedigree collies. I was raised with them.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 08:42:37 am »
In addition, regarding the bird guarding. Our dogs were fine with the free range geese until last month when they decided they were fair game. I had to wrestle a 45kg newfie/bernese and a 38kg rottweiler in a muddy puddle while my partner wrestled our 60kg Leonberger to get them under control and allow the geese to get away.

Also the fox knows when the dogs are behind the fence and will sit 10-20m away just staring at the dogs barking at it.

So dogs in run, birds might be attacked by their guard. dogs out of run, fox may get in else where and kill with impunity

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 09:00:49 am »
Feed costs are only a tiny part of it. Then you will have routine vaccinations, worm and flea treatments. The big costs come with illness or injury. Hundreds and possibly thousands ..... How long is a piece of string?

My thoughts would be more along the lines of the dogs welfare and purpose. I have no real experience of guard breeds. So, I would just ask the question.
Are they really suitable as 'guards' for a handful of chickens?

Most breeds would need careful training and supervision around poultry as youngsters.

Even a well trained dog who knows that chickens are not for chasing could start to chase or 'play' with them if left for hours unattended. Dogs get bored, hey fill their time with something!

As mentioned in previous post foxy will soon get to know if your dog is kept in a run and no advantage gained from a guard dog.

Area would need to be very secure. Bored dogs escape and get into trouble and I just can't see a dog feeling fulfilled looking after a few hens.

I think there are easier way of keeping a few hens safe.

Sorry, just thing that the monetary consideration is not the main concern in this case.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:46:55 am »
Would you plan still be to keep the dog permanently in with the birds as per your previous post?
I'm not sure how to link to a previous post! :dunce:
If so, as previously stated, this would still not be fair at all on the dog.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=79049.msg622063#msg622063
[ftp][/http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=79049.msg622063#msg622063ftp]
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:56 am »
Ok, in honesty I'm very concerned about the linked post. Guardian dogs were bred to protect large flocks from wolves, over hundreds of acres. Half an acre is just a big garden. A dog left out there alone will get him or herself into mischief very quickly. That's the least awful outcome.

If you're set on an animal guardian, what about a (pair of) llama?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:48 am »
The dogs are saw are kept with chickens goats and sheep. Puppies are used to them since birth  ;)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 10:18:16 am »
Do you think it is fair to keep any dog in a small enclosure with just a few birds?
Is not the same as it guarding a flock on the plains is it?
Aside from it being bordering on inhumane, if you managed to secure the enclosure so well that I dog could not escape, then the fox would not be able to get in anyway would it?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:03 am »
No no the dog would have half an acre to roam with goats next to chicken run with regular walks etc
Anyway don't shout at me saying I'm inhumane as I'm just thinking allowed and asking you polite questions and I don't have any dogs for now!  ;)  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:30:22 am by macgro7 »

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:42:02 am »
Sorry Macgro7, that did come across as rather rude and shouty. I do not mean to cause any upset or offence, just to point out that the concept would be inhumane. Half an acre is a small area for a dog to be permanently enclosed in for around 15 years.
Again, if you are planning on fencing the enclosure anyway (to keep the dog in) there would be no need for a dog.
It's not that it's not possible to do what you are suggesting, it would not be a very nice life for the dog.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:15 am »
No worries
But don't people keep dogs in tiny apartments? And they do pretty well?
How much space do you think would be appropriate? What sort of lifestyle would be the best for a dog? Again I'm just asking...

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 11:02:47 am »
I'm not being drawn into an argument about this. As you can tell, my blood is boiling at the thought of you doing this, but you will do what you want.
A dog would be happier in a 6 foot square apartment with someone to cuddle and have adventures with than live anywhere on it's own.
I'm going to sidle off now and stop reading this thread as I am afraid that I really will get rude. Apologies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS