Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding experience needed  (Read 1359 times)

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
Smallholding experience needed
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:10 pm »
At 54 years old, it’s not often I get referred to as a newbie, but as a TAS virgin, I thought I would, in the words of the late, great Ian Dury, “bruise my pomegranate” and indulge in my first post.

Over the next two years I hope that my money tree in the back garden will provide enough resources to buy a smallholding, something I have been dreaming of for a while now.

I would like to spend the next couple of years developing my smallholding skills, knowledge and experience.

If there are any kind souls who could offer me hands on experience such as handling livestock, beekeeping, willow weaving, brewing or dairy skills (Cheesemaking) etc., it would be much appreciated.

I currently live in North Nottinghamshire. If local, I would be more than happy to give a day or two a week, or if further away, then I would be very happy to travel and spend a week or two away from home, obviously, all working on a voluntary basis.

A pleasure to meet you all. Looking forward to any support you can give.
Scallywag
Be careful what you scratch if you've been chopping chillies

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Smallholding experience needed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:22:18 pm »
Hi there.... don't think I can be any help, but welcome to the best site around...  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:44:57 am »
Have you looked into WWOOF?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scallywag

• Joined Apr 2017
  • Retford
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 08:25:33 am »
Thanks for the welcome Nimbus. The website has been a great source of information for me, so I finally got round to signing up.

I'm currently looking at WWOOF Sally, there's a number of opportunities there that are of interest. No harm asking on here as well though.

I've been working with a local wildlife trust for the last few months, including helping out with lambing 200 ewes. Absolutely loved every minute of it and looking forward to soaking up as many experiences as possible.
Scallywag
Be careful what you scratch if you've been chopping chillies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS