Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Older heifers  (Read 2506 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Older heifers
« on: May 01, 2017, 05:45:09 pm »
Tidying up previous management choices  :-\

We have a 3 year old who hasn't gone to the bull yet. Are there any stats on exactly how much overall fertility will be reduced in late-breeding them?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Older heifers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:09:37 am »
not that I know of 3 isnt old.  We can calve down at 2 however depends on the size of the heifer.  Plenty of mistakes and bad decisions is really down to financial every year not in calf in a serious deficit.  Put them to the bull/AI in July.  I wouldnt worry about it.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:35 pm »
3 yr not old, many farmers wait to put spring born heifers  to bull at 3yrs often 2yrs is too young. 2 and a half years often ideal for size.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:15:42 pm »
Thanks for reassurance, we also have a group of 2 yr olds who are way too small for this summer.
We're considering AI from next year so we can pick a nice easy bull for them!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 06:58:12 pm »
Yes, totally agree with everyone here. We have just put ours to the bull, the oldest being 3 years old, all so far so good. From my experience if you calve them at 2 and a half years old they have a higher chance of prolapse, this is in buffalo though, although I hear it can affect cattle too? My brother works a lot with black and whites and they calve 2 and a half, he says its better as the older they get the more weight they lay up and that can also lead to prolapsing.... A lot of conflicting info here am afraid  :-\
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:49:41 pm »
Three would be very old in a dairy heifer, as by 18 months they are generally well grown, as housed and fed for that purpose.
Bulling age is more dependent on size and weight rather than age.
Generally as they get older and fatter the fertility reduces...

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:33:46 am »
Fat is definitely not an issue. They are tiny in many ways :/
Fortunately we can afford to repair the herd over time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS