Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: proto apricots and curl resistant peach  (Read 2113 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
proto apricots and curl resistant peach
« on: April 29, 2017, 05:14:51 pm »
As per the title ..my apricot tree is showing a handful of tiny apricots for the first time.. whether they come to anything is another matter.

I bought a curl resistant peach last autumn.. the older tree has it in spades again but the resistant tree really is fine. so later the curly one gets dug up.. not worth the hassle and it'll get replaced this autumn.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: proto apricots and curl resistant peach
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 11:52:13 pm »
Whereabouts in the country are you? I would love to grow apricots but suspect I am too far north in Shropshire.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 04:37:47 am »
LLanfyllin. So same latitude and you're actually a bit warmer. I see the difference in plant growth as a couple of weeks just by driving to shrewsbury.
This variety is 'Goldcot' and my initial reading stated that it had produced crops (in good seasons) as far north as North Wales.

There may be an element of exactly where in the garden it got planted 'cos it's been very vigorous. It flowers every spring but usually before the insects are out around here. If someone was keen enough to hand pollinate and fleece the buds then it'd probably do better (but I'm not)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 05:50:00 pm »
You have to look closely

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:21:23 pm »
Thank you. My back garden is south facing so would be the better place. Now where can I squeeze one in?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
Thank you. My back garden is south facing so would be the better place. Now where can I squeeze one in?

against the wall between the fig and the almond  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS