Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scabby nose lamb  (Read 2084 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Scabby nose lamb
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:54:09 pm »
Hi folks. I have a pet lamb who has very little pigment on his hose and muzzle. In the last couple of days he's developed scabs. I don't think it's orf as it's not inflamed and doesn't appear to be painful.
It's been bright here with sun but quite cold. Could this be a sensitivity to sun? And would suncream help?
Or any other ideas? 
Thanks

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Scabby nose lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:04 pm »
I've not come across that I'm afraid, but if it were my lamb in the short term I'd put some sudocrem on...., and I'd act as if orf (so gloves on!)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:37:56 pm »
Could've scratched it on a thistle, hawthorn, etc. and allowed a staph. infection to develop.  I'd start with an a/b spray.  Or might the lamb have grazed a photosensitizer like St John's Wort?

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »
I've known buttercups causes photo sensitivity in a pink-nosed pony so they could also be to blame if present?  I think it was grazing among them rather than ingesting them that was the problem.

But I think I'd be working on the basis it was orf, too, just as it's the most likely explanation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS