Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a whopper!  (Read 1493 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
What a whopper!
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
As today our last ewe lambed I now have the time to share this with you.  Last week this chap was born, a rare single from a Mule, had to be pulled just the last little bit, but was up and doing fairly quickly. I think he's the biggest we've ever had -  he weighed in at 18 pounds at birth!!!  This is him about 30 minutes old.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: What a whopper!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:44:06 pm »
Odd, isn't it, how you occasionally get a really big lamb when the ewe's been on the same feed regime as the others.  We once asked our vet to guess the age of one of our Badger Face lambs - judging by her size he said three weeks - it was actually ten hours.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:58 pm »
Yes as we scan she wasn't fed very much at all.  As she has very big teats though its quite handy that he was born with the mouth to cope with them!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:07 am »
We had a huge single from a mule last year. Dwarfed everything in the field. When I was pulling him he just went on and on and on! Same as MF said you would have thought he was three weeks old at birth.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:11 pm »
It may be unrelated but people who have high blood sugar during pregnancy often have large babies so perhaps the ewe had high blood sugar. 
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS