Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potatoes got by the frost  (Read 2060 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Potatoes got by the frost
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:01:43 pm »
In spite of what I thought were my best efforts at earthing up and covering with fleece, my potatoes were got by the frost last night  >:(

That'll teach me for being too keen!

Is there any chance they'll perk up or should I pull up and plant some more while it's still potato planting season?

cans

• Joined May 2013
Re: Potatoes got by the frost
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:37:54 pm »
Hi wannabesmallholder
Sounds like OH last year, despite his best efforts the tips got frosted.
 It set them back a wee bit but once the warmer! weather comes they will catch up. Just make sure you keep earthing up/covering when cold nights forecast

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:25:44 pm »
My earlies seem to get caught every year... but soon put on new growth and produce a good crop. I'm always torn between getting them in early and covering up in the frost or getting them in later and having reduced yields because of blight...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:04:40 pm »
Fleece is pretty useless against frost I find.  When you earth up, make sure you draw the soil right over all the foliage - it looks as if you're killing the spuds, but you're not.
We're forecast -7 tonight, and have had snow since yesterday, so I'm pleased we're a bit behind with preparing the tattie patch.
Keep a record of your weather over several years, and eventually you'll arrive at an average last and first frosts date for your garden.  Then plant your tubers about 2 weeks before that date.

They'll keep on growing in spite of the damage.  You could always try digging up a couple to check what's going on below, to set your mind at rest  :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:05 am »
I buy heavy duty fleece which works well but you do need to make sure it doesn't touch the plants. We are only getting temps just below zero however.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS