Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame ewe.  (Read 1809 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Lame ewe.
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
i had a heavily in lamb ewe go lame last Friday, I trimmed her feet and sprayed, Saturday she seemed worse so I trimmed back further, sprayed and gave her an antibiotic on Sunday, she lambed twins yesterday and all is good, but she is still limping, any ideas/suggestions. please?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lame ewe.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »
Metacam first of all, but why trim her feet back further? Try to determine what the cause is- scald or footrot (spray, inject with oxytetracycline and metacam and don't trim), is she lame because she was heavily pregnant?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:02:16 pm »
I re-trimmed as as I missed an overgrown bit before, there was no sign of rot or scald just a bit overgrown? Could just being pregnant cause her lameness? I've not had that before?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:11:44 pm »
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but could she have shelly hoof?  I've missed it before when looking at a lame foot because the pocket has been packed with mud and the same colour as the bottom of the foot.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:17:06 pm »
No I don't think so, feet looked healthy apart from overgrown which I've trimmed. I'm wondering if it could be her leg as opposed to foot?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »
Get someone to stand astride her or hold her steady, close your eyes and feel, slowly and gently, from the top of the front legs down to the hoof, then do the same on the back legs.  You're feeling for a break, swelling or a hot area.  Closing your eyes concentrates your sense of touch and having a sound leg to compare with makes it easier to pinpoint a difference. 

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:06 pm »
If unsure, you could always ask your vet to take a look.
They can check her over and try to find the reason for the lameness and give her painkiller if it is something in the leg etc.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 10:07:27 am »
For starters stop trimming just because still lame. Could there be a blackthorn in there? Clean it, jab & spray. Then leave her a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS