Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Difference between lamivac and heptavac?  (Read 3798 times)

Advertisement

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Difference between lamivac and heptavac?
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:07:33 am »
.... and which one should I use?

I have 2 lambs and one possibly in-lamb ewe (booster) to vaccinate in a couple of weeks time. Our vet said use lamivac on all 3 when lambs are 3 weeks and then again at 9 weeks. Why lamivac and not heptavac - can heptavac not be used in lambs?

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Difference between lamivac and heptavac?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:16 pm »
Heptavac and lambivac is not to be used on lambs less than 3 weeks old. I think Heptavac covers more illnesses than lambiivac? But I might be wrong?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:11:13 pm »
From what I can see lambivac doesn't cover pasturella, blackleg or clostridial metritis.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »
With only 3 to do I should see what neighbour is using and ask for 3 doses of that .....   heptovac (which is needed by in lamb one) comes in min of 25 doses  and does not keep
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »
Ok thanks. So sounds like I can give Heptavac once the youngest lamb is 3 weeks? So what is the purpose of lamivac then? Can't work out why anyone would use lamivac instead of heptavac - I'm obviously missing something!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
Lambivac covers fewer diseases, it's all about risk benefit balance.
Young lambs are probably less likely to suffer from all the diseases covered by heptavac before they go for meat, so they're likely to develop immunity quickly and well to the diseases covered by lambivac, so often in a commercial system it is better value for money to cover the lambs with lambivac.
Some areas of the country may have a lower risk of some of the diseases so some farmers will take the risk to only vaccinate with lambivac.
It has also been previously licensed in goats, so owners of goats (that can be poor at creating a response to clostridial vaccines) will frequently use lambivac.
Hope that explains the use of it.
As advised elsewhere, it would be sensible to find out what neighbours or local smallholders are using to be able to share doses as vaccines only last 10 hours once opened.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS