Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse harness  (Read 5273 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Prolapse harness
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:09 am »
Due to a set of rather unfortunate circumstances we have ended up with a pregnant gimmer (little Orphan Annie who was delivered prematurely by C-section last year after a dog attack). She is fat and has been overfed by the well-meaning OH who thought she must need extra feed being a baby only herself  :-[
Unsurprisingly she prolapsed 2 weeks ago and has been in a prolapse harness ever since.
She is due to lamb on Friday. At what point should I remove the harness? During the day, one of us is always here, so if she started lambing we could whip it off easily enough, but what happens if she lambs at night? We obviously do night checks, but are not with her all night.
The prolapse was small and was only coming out when she was straining. If we remove the harness, will she just prolapse again? I have read on here before about ewes lambing past a harness . Is this always possible?
Sorry for so many questions, but this is our first experience with a prolapse. Poor Annie!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Prolapse harness
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:47 am »
Leave it on til she starts. I have had two lamb through/round the harness this time. A ewe lamb will be sometime from start to finish so you should see her...they don't just pop them out like older ewes,  if you take it off she'll just prolapse again.
Also don't be tempted to interfere to soon when she starts, ewe lambs can be ages and she'll need plenty of time to open up.  :fc:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:51:34 am »
Don't worry - they can lamb ok with the harness on. I don't know how - but they do! I've had several lamb overnight with the harness on and as if by magic the lamb(s) happily laid by their side or feeding.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »
Depending on breed you may see two hollows appear in front of her pelvis, which means the lambs have positioned themselves for lambing.  This takes the pressure off the prolapse and the harness can be removed.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:46:45 pm »
Thanks all.
I took it off today to clean it (ew!) and have been watching her like a hawk while it dries. I'll pop it back on now and keep you posted on how we get on.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »
Depending on breed you may see two hollows appear in front of her pelvis, which means the lambs have positioned themselves for lambing.
No chance- she's a Ryeland, never been sheared and strongly resembles a pompom. I have trouble identifying which end is which!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:38:40 pm »
Echo the others, I've had to use one twice and both times the ewe lambed with it on - no idea how she managed?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
Depending on breed you may see two hollows appear in front of her pelvis, which means the lambs have positioned themselves for lambing.
No chance- she's a Ryeland, never been sheared and strongly resembles a pompom. I have trouble identifying which end is which!
Down breeds are best for spotting this happening, as the wool closely follows the contours of the body.  When we see this happen in one of the Southdowns we say "she's dropped".

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:20 pm »
Then I shall keep a close eye out for her looking like a more distorted pom-pom  ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:53 pm »
We had one this year that managed to get the nose of the lamb over the top of the spoon and legs underneath.  Was spotted and tine cut, spoon out and successfull.  But normally thy lamb past it.

crofter 65

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Wester Ross
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 10:08:46 pm »
As everyone says they can lamb with the harness on, we had one but the dog ate it, it was left in the back of the Land Rover freshly of a sheep, so anyone that knows collies can guess the outcome ????

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:33 am »
Is there such a saying as "A watched sheep never lambs"? If not, there should be!! Come on Annie!!!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 12:32:02 pm »
Go away from home and she will definitely lamb   :innocent:  and just to add balance 9 out of 10 ewes can lamb through a harness successfully  and then the odd 1 gets totally stuck in the harness

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 01:07:39 pm »
9 out of 10 ewes can lamb through a harness successfully  and then the odd 1 gets totally stuck in the harness
very comforting- thanks  :innocent:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 08:27:25 am »
Little Annie  had an enormous boy lamb yesterday  :relief:
We were sat on the bench in the field at tea time last night with a glass of wine when she started, so we took her harness off and she happily obliged to lamb. Most convenient!
Hopefully the prolapse and giant lamb will be a lesson learned to my fella not to 'sympathy feed' the fat sheep!! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS