Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise please. Relocating to pastures new  (Read 1503 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Advise please. Relocating to pastures new
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:23:02 am »
I am starting to think about the logistics of moving goats to our new abode?

I was at the new place at the weekend and had a walk through the paddocks. The grass is long as it hasn't been cut or grazed for 2 years and very spongy/mossy.  The grass they are currently on has no moss or sponginess to it. Up until 2 years ago it was grazed by horses.

So for the safest transition does anyone have any advice. I have a herd of Pygmy goats and 6 sheep.
Getting the grass cut prior to moving is feasible.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Advise please. Relocating to pastures new
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:16:38 pm »
As with anything new gradual, make sure they have had hay first and you can put them out on small section at a time over short period of time gradually increasing time grazing and space depending on how much grazing there is    they will soon munch it down but if it is a large area cutting it may be helpful, section off a bit for hay ? It's the new lush growth that can be danger of bloat but feeding hay / straw will balance the lush stuff.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »
Agree with Talana

Moss will become less of a problem as they eat the longer grass and sun can dry ground out.
If its lush i would add raw cider vinegar to the water or make baking powder available
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:12:01 pm by mart6 »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:00:10 pm »
 If it's not been cut or grazed for 2 years there's likely to be a lot of long old growth, so I wouldn't have any worries about it being lush. I would just put them on it and let them pick through what they want and then top it after and let the new growth come through.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS