Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much bottle milk?  (Read 1580 times)

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
how much bottle milk?
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:56:25 am »
My lovely Herdwick lamb who is now three weeks old and thriving on the bottle seems as if he could drink for England at every feed.  I am wary of giving him too much as he finishes each feed looking VERY full - does around 8 to 9 fl oz per feed, four times a day, sound about right at this age?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: how much bottle milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:21:35 am »
Sounds about right, they should have a daily total intake of 1-1.5litres... so 230-250ml 4 times a day is about right. As each week goes by drop a feed and increase the quantity until 5-6 weeks they should be on 2 full bottles twice a day, then wean at 6 weeks abruptly providing they are drinking water and eating creep. Introduce creep now  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »
When their tummies start to round out at each feed, stop feeding.  If you overfill the abomasum (milk stomach), the milk spills over into the rumen and can cause serious digestive issues.

The lambs do not know how to tell when they are full, you have to do that for them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:27:51 pm »
Sounds like mine  :), i suppose mum would walk off when she decides baby has had enough.

epherdwicks

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »
thanks everyone.  Twizzle - how large are your two full  bottles?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS