Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs or trio  (Read 1441 times)

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
Hatching eggs or trio
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »
Dear fellow poultry keepers,

I am setting up and managing a farm from scratch in Monmouthshire for a charity that provides therapy for disadvantaged children on working farms during weekly visits.

I am trying to source 3 types of fowl for the initial setup and would like quality as will be starting from scratch. The 3 breeds I am looking for are Vorwerks as laying hens with the view to cross them with a large breasted cockerel to produce home grown meat birds. (open to ideas on this breed) and then silver laced Wyandotte bantams as a easily handle-able "pet" breed. alternatively a pekin type. apart from the table bird cross all will be bred pure and level and used for our own stock.

I can incubate hatching eggs but ideally would like a couple of trios to get started this summer. Any help or suggestions are gratefully received.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hatching eggs or trio
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:12 am »
You may need to be more flexible on breeds - bantams can be flighty and there are a number of breeds that are good layers.

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: Hatching eggs or trio
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:04:07 pm »
Thanks for the post. whilst I understand your sentiments and agree with your comment about there being other breeds, there are reasons that I would like the breeds listed and if I can would like to stick with this. I am not new by any means to poultry but having a new fresh site provides an opportunity to make some changes.

many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS