Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I put the tup back in??  (Read 3078 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Can I put the tup back in??
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:46:59 pm »
Afternoon peeps.
On our second years lambing now and all is going well. :fc:
Last year we left the tup in with the ewes while they lambed and the tup killer a couple of the lambs as soon as they were born.  Rare I know but we saw him do it.
To be on the safe side this year, we removed the tup (not the same one), and a wether for company, to another small field while the ewes lambed.  Well we now have 13 lambs and all is going well.  We should be finished lambing in a couple of days when the last 3 lamb.

Question is, we go on holiday for 10 days on the 6th May and can't leave the tup and wether in the small field because there isn't enough grass for them.  So do you think it would be safe to put the tup back in the field with the ewes and lambs?

An experienced farmer will drop by every now and then but can't be here all the time.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Can I put the tup back in??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
Personally I wouldn't I would rather put hay or haylage out for them and leave them where they are for the 10 days. When you come back and can be there try them then.
Anne

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't do that.  They have eaten the grass down to the ground and we are feeding with cake and hay every day. The field they are in is only about 15x20 metres.  I wouldn't feel happy leaving them with just hay for that length of time.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »
Not sure what you want us to say , you can't leave in the small area but are worried about putting them with the lambs ? has to be your decision ! but it reads like you are going to put them with the lambs , should be ok but you never can tell

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:11 pm »
If you're going to put them back in there must be a "sweet spot" couple of days where the last lambs are quick(ish) on their feet but several days before you go away, then if there's any problems you'll have to put them back in the small field til you return. But at least you'll know for certain and have time to sort it out.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:30 pm »
No, I hadn't already made up my mind to put him back in with the lambs.  Quite the opposite.  I just didn't know if was an absolute big no no.  Like I said, it's only our second lambing and we are still on a massive learning curve.
Sounds like it should be okay with a bit if care and a few days.  If there is a problem, or someone else strongly advises against it I'll have to find another solution.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:26 pm »
To be fair my ram has been in with the flock throughout but they are primitives and the flock they come from leaves all the males in as guardians during lambing so that instinct seems to have been retained. I do shut the ewes and lambs in at night for the first week as well though, until the lambs get too clever and fast for me to catch easily, as we have foxes and badgers all over the place!

Just hope your stragglers lamb a bit quicker than mine are, several pairs of crossed legs here...

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:51:11 pm »
I always leave my tup in with the ewes and lambs till shearing and I've never had a problem. Hopefully yours was just a once off problem.
To be honest, if I were going away for 10 days in May and only had someone popping in every now and then, I'd be more worried about the possibility of maggots. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:28 am »
I'm guessing the experienced farmer will be checking daily, and will spot any fly issues at a hundred paces. 

If I remember correctly, you're in West Cumbria, with Shetlands?  Not impossible to be getting flystrike in early May, but a lot less likely than further south.

My Shetland ram and wethers stayed with the flock year round, and never any problem with the tup and lambs at all.  Silly, giddy, wether hoggs sometimes ::) but not the tup.  They had plenty of space though - stocking was nearly an acre per lambing ewe, and lots of varied terrain, woodland and riverbank as well as pasture and meadow. 

My initial reaction was to say that plenty of sheep eat nothing but hay all winter, what's the problem with the tup and companion getting nothing but hay for 10 more days?  But maybe you're bothered about escape tunnels and how far a Shetland tup could get in 24 hours..  Or embarrassed to ask your farmer friend to dispense the hay and water? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:26:43 am »
If I had a tup that had killed his own lambs he would've been in the cull pen at market the next week, although we keep our tups entirely separate from the rest of the flock other than at tupping.  Is there no other land locally that wants a lawnmower?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
With my ewes and Rams I'd do it without a second thought, and have already done so this year. Given your experience I'd probably be hesitant but if you've changed the ram then go for it.

The only time I've seen a lamb attacked was when I had a black lamb and the ewes all attacked it when housed. I put them outdoors and there was enough space for them to keep out each others way

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »
If I had a tup that had killed his own lambs he would've been in the cull pen at market the next week, although we keep our tups entirely separate from the rest of the flock other than at tupping.  Is there no other land locally that wants a lawnmower?

This isn't the same tup.  The one that killed the lambs last year went to the freezer.  This is a new, young tup.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »
Our tups go back in.  Never an issue.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS