Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transport for sheep  (Read 3632 times)

Debbie100

• Joined Jun 2016
Transport for sheep
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:03 pm »
Hi
I'm buying 6 Shetland sheep 3 ewes and 3 lambs
Is there anyone that can recommend a transport company since it is only small numbers , everything I am finding online looks for big numbers.
Needing picked up from the borders and dropped off Inverclyde
I'm used to horses and plenty transport companies for them so not sure where to start for the sheep.
Could go myself with the horse trailer but finding time for a 5 hour round trip
Is also an issue

Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Transport for sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:50:13 pm »
Tbh, transporting 6 Shetlands with a haulier (of any kind) will cost you more than the sheep are worth....

Debbie100

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:00:01 pm »
That's what I don't understand
There must be small private transporters about who do this , there are literally hundreds of them to choose from for horses !!
It's not about it being more expensive than the sheep but would be happy to pay a reasonable fee for someone's diesel and time

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:30 pm »
You can't be a "private" transporter for livestock... smallholders (who are usually the only ones with small numbers of sheep to transport) just do their own transport, an Ifor Williams P6 will take 6 sheep being towed by a family estate, off you go... but you will find that making a business of transporting those numbers of sheep is not worthwhile. You probably just have to do it yourself, especially if you already have a trailer/car to tow it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:40:40 pm »
When we sell sheep, we will often deliver them, for the price of the fuel and a nice cuppa when we arrive. It gives us a chance to check out their new home and their new owners, and for the new owners to ask all the small questions they're bound to have.  Maybe you could work something out with the sellers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Debbie100

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
Thanks for all the replies
I will probably just borrow a livestock trailer as will be lighter than my ifor Willians 511 and will keep me under the 3.5t limit as I don't have a towing licence yet as previously had 3.5t horsebox
Running a livery yard , 2 kids and all there commitments plus a husband who works offshore doesn't leave me many hours in the day , will get something sorted !

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:27 am »
You'll actually find it cheaper to use one of the big hauliers as they can, if necessary divide their wagons into individual pens, so your small shipment could go as a part load. This is obviously much cheaper than someone making a special trip with your animals alone, and probably cost less than if you went yourself.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:15:38 pm »
Try this: https://www.shiply.com/
You will get quotes back the same day from pet couriers at reasonable prices. 
I got a quote of shiply for £180 for an 8 hour round trip a few weeks back!
The companies that quote are professional pet transporters so it should be a safe option.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:59 pm »
When we sell sheep, we will often deliver them, for the price of the fuel and a nice cuppa when we arrive. It gives us a chance to check out their new home and their new owners, and for the new owners to ask all the small questions they're bound to have.  Maybe you could work something out with the sellers.

It's me! I'm very happy that I've checked out the new home sufficiently, I'd love to be able to deliver them, but I just can't do it. Difficult family circumstances, three small children, mares foaling, 1300 ewes lambing etc etc.

Debbie100

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:32 am »
Thanks again to everyone who has responded
Mowhaugh I know how you feel minus the 1300 ewes lol !!
I do full livery for some of the horses and still on winter routine plus children and hubby works away etc etc
Will try the suggestions within the next few days and if not I can get someone to cover the yard and head down with my mum
Thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS