Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig drinkers  (Read 2383 times)

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
Pig drinkers
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:46:02 pm »
Hi

I am sure this has been covered many times so apologies to you all but I have trawled back in the forum pages and can't find anything obvious....

We are hoping to expand into pigs soon (we've done one year of sheep so far so novice to most things).  We are getting fencing/housing etc sorted but I'm trying to work out the best drinker.  I have found a barrel with bite drinkers which to me seemed a good idea - no muddy trough water but a good supply without relying on piped water (we have a pipe but in experience from our sheep it's not great pressure-wise).  However it is expensive and only seems to be made by one company (pigarkcompany) which possibly suggests that the design isn't really that effective/in demand?? 

What are the general thoughts on drinkers?  Do you need much water pressure for other drinkers??  I'd like something as pig-proof and reliable as possible as we both work and would not want pigs to tip the water over or muddy it up first thing in the morning and be without until we get home in the evening.

Thanks for any pig advice!

J

NewToThis

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Pig drinkers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:33:33 am »
We have ours on JFC drinkers - they work well for us. And if you can have piped water it is a godsend as pigs will get through a lot.

Pigs love to root, so any drinker (or feeder) will need to be well secured or VERY heavy

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:01:22 am »
We have something like the one in this pic. We have water in an IBC that gets filled by hose about once a week and that feeds the automatic drinker. The blue water pipes are protected by some stout wood.

So far it has survived 3 sets of weaners without a problem.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jheard

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:49:33 pm »
That's great bionic - think that set up would suit us. Thanks

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:11 am »
yes we use the fisher drinkers in the 2.5 litre (pictured) and 14 litre version, mounted on wooden posts/ply wood.
Mostly pipes left unprotected but i have just had one bitten off, so probably good to protect them....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
Get a length of metal pipe and run any exposed bits through appropriate lengths before attaching the drinker.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:16:55 pm »
What a good idea MF.  I've just attached a drinker to blue alkathane which is working well but when the pigs get stronger they'll be all over the plastic pipe doing what pigs do. 

They're so destructive and friendly at the same time I just love them.  I'll still eat them in August though.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS