Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drought or flood?  (Read 2136 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
Drought or flood?
« on: April 16, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »
It has not rained much since I started lambing a couple of weeks ago and there's no rain in the forecast.  Any opinions out there about whether we will have a drought or should I just use the dry time to fix the guttering because there's a flood on the way? :raining: :sunshine: :thinking:
Never ever give up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Drought or flood?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 02:30:30 pm »
I think you should fix the guttering. I say this because I spent two hours fixing guttering on our lambing shed this morning in the p1ssing rain, after I found it had all warped over the winter and was letting rain into the lambing pens.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 06:37:56 pm »
Fix the guttering 
That way, as Womble says, you won't be out in the p1ssing rain trying to rectify problems

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:52 am »
I hope you guys are correct.  Still no rain in the forecast. 
Never ever give up.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »
There was plenty of the wet stuff last week in the Scottish Highlands and guess what? ...... It followed us home to Wales. ::)

Absolutely pouring right now.  :gloomy:

My vote is for the guttering.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:19:30 pm »
I hope you guys are correct.  Still no rain in the forecast.
Always best to be prepared... British weather is very unpredictable lol. I hope lambing is going well for you all :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:36:26 am »
Good to hear its rained somewhere, sorry that it followed you all the way to Wales.  Still no rain here.  OH says he fixed the guttering when it was raining.  Have decided to pursue drought mitigation planning by reinstating our well that did not dry out even in 1976 when all other water supplies failed and we were watering the animals from the river and drinking from standpipes.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS