Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb died, what's best for the ewe?  (Read 4691 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Lamb died, what's best for the ewe?
« on: April 16, 2017, 11:51:51 am »
hi all, so started lambing yesterday with the the arrival of a tiny single, I suspect it was premature? Weighed only 1700g, it couldn't stand but could hold its head up and after tubing small amounts 20ml of colostrum it tried to stand, I continued to tube over night and had a heat lamp over it with mum in an adjoining pen, sadly it grew weaker and died this morning, the ewe hasn't a big udder and it was difficult milking her hence the tiny amounts, she's now calling and missing her lamb, I don't have any poor pasture as everywhere the grass is good, is it fair to keep her penned in the barn watching as the others lamb and come in nearby? Or should I try and put her somewhere else maybe with the ram for company? I've never had a ewe without a lamb before I guess I don't milk her or hard feed her? And for how long? Advice much appreciated thank you.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Lamb died, what's best for the ewe?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »
Its always sad when one doesn't make it :(

I'd kept her in her pen for 48hrs then turn her out onto the poorest grazing you have. I wouldn't worry about her seeing the other lambs, she'll loose interest in them after 24hrs

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »
Thank you, yes very sad as it makes you question yourself that you did all you can? The ewe seems fine in the barn, I might have to keep her there a bit longer as I don't have any poor grazing, it's the best it's been this time of year for years!

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »
Can you not get a pet lamb for her and mother it on?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:16:19 pm »
worth keeping in a pen - if you have a number of ewes and possible twins then you could try adopting - trouble is its 50/50 if they accept it and its a lot of hard work.  Like others say turn it out. 

You always get prem lambs and the first lot are always poor and towards the end you get the crackers.  The jobs of sheep farming.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:43:34 pm »
I only have 7 to lamb this year and am now 3 down 4 to go, I don't want to take on a pet lamb to try and foster on to her as its a slim chance it'll work and I'd rather not have bottle Feds unless I have to, she seems fine actually quite content, maybe as it was premature she's not fully bagged up and ready so isn't gagging for a baby?!. If I get a 'spare' from any of the rest it'll be worth a try but with only 4 to go doubt they'll be coming thick and fast to give me the option. I'll keep her in the barn a few days and keep an eye out for mastitis, thank you for your help everyone its so reassuring to have the knowledge here x  :farmer:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 08:56:59 pm »
She will need to grieve in her own way - we try to keep our grieving ones with others to help them through - sometimes in a pen next to others sometimes in with the rest.

The only thing you will need to watch out for is she bothers others lambs who are giving birth and she thinks its hers.

She will need no supplimental feed - unless she has no milk at all - then treat it the same - more food.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:20:57 pm »
If the lamb was early she probably won't have much milk and therefore won't take much drying up. I'd put her out on some poorer grazing with company. She'll stop calling in a day or two, sad but it happens.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:48:38 pm »
so sad when you loose one so young
I had a good ewe loose one this year and she is one of the best mothers I have (lamb's death not her fault.)
She bleated non stop for around 3 days, constantly looking for her lamb. I gave her an injection of bimoxyl and after 3 days I put her outside in with last years ew lambs. She is improving but still not fully over it.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:53 am »
Well she's seems fine but frustrated for being penned! Her udder feels soft, she lambed Saturday and apart from the 100ml or so of got from her she's not produced any milk, My ewes and lambs have gone out on the lush grass and I've put her out with the ones that haven't lambed yet, nearest the house and ok grass, just hope that's the right move as I don't have any poor grass as such!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 09:29:30 am »
Traditional way to dry off a ewe is to put her in a pen, on straw, with some minerals.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:16 am »
For how long in a pen?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 08:06:56 pm »
Until her udder is slack.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Thanks everyone, she is now happily back with the others and her udder is fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS