Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tick treatments  (Read 2027 times)

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
tick treatments
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:04:01 am »
I've noticed a few ticks on one of my cows - what treatments can I use?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: tick treatments
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:19:39 am »
Just asked our vet the same question, specifically for the dairy cow.  She put us up two doses of a spot on with no milk withdrawal :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:46:13 am »
Thank you! I've used spot on in the hope it would help - there isn't much advice on google for this country for cattle. There seems to be a lot of ticks this spring.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:26 am »
There seems to be a lot of ticks this spring.

There do!  I knocked two off Hillie's udder while I was milking her earlier in the week, hence asking the vet for something for them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:36 am »
If I remember rightly there is nothing lisenced for ticks on cattle (Spot-on only officially does ticks on sheep), why I don't know.
Vets will tell you to to use Spot-on anyway because it does work on cattle.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:47:00 am »
According to NOAH, Spot-on is licensed for cattle, including the zero hour withdrawal for dairy cattle.  Strangely it is not to be used for sheep producing milk for human consumption ???

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:58:29 pm »
Good point, it is lisenced for cattle and I guess that is what matters but the bottle says for lice and flies in cattle and for ticks, lice, keds and blowfly in sheep. 
We know it does work for ticks in cattle but why does it not say this on the bottle?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 05:36:08 pm »
Good point, it is lisenced for cattle and I guess that is what matters but the bottle says for lice and flies in cattle and for ticks, lice, keds and blowfly in sheep. 
We know it does work for ticks in cattle but why does it not say this on the bottle?

Presumeably it's not been scientifically proven, so they can't claim it.  Seems strange they haven't done the legwork... ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS