Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen is a cock (no offense intended)!  (Read 2486 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Hen is a cock (no offense intended)!
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:22:59 pm »
Just realised that my cream legbarr hen is a cock - only nearly a year old! He has never crowd so didn't really take much notice apart from being somewhat irritated by it not laying, then today saw him mount a bantam and finally noticed the spurs, how did I miss that! ???
Heather

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Hen is a cock (no offense intended)!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:20:55 am »
The real surprise is that you missed the feather colouring MCL- the cock is completely different to the hen.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:31:11 am »
This particular bird as a chick had very indistinct markings and as the other five were defiantly cock birds I took a punt. However, went to the hen house this morning and he was dead, no marks and he was fine last night. Must have been the shock of being let out after all this time. Bit quick for bird flu I hope.
Heather

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:37 am »
Possibly. I think one of our ducks had a heart attack due to a joy overload. We had to let them out because we needed the hay shed back for lambing, but three hours later one of them was floating two feet up in the pond  :'(.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:15 am »
At least your cockerel died a happy man  ;) (no offence meant either :))

He was definitely an exception. My cream legbars have all been very early maturing, including trying to crow at 8 weeks old. Nice to hear they're not all like that. Hormonal little things  :D

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:33:59 am »
Yes he certainly died happy! I recon he new his days may be numbered so suppressed the urge to crow!  :roflanim: He couldn't do anything about his other urges though, and that unmasked him as the imposter that he was!!
Heather

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:07:29 pm »
Def not a hen who changed?

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 09:08:42 pm »
Anything is possible I suppose. My Grandad always said he had a goose that turned into a gander, never knew whether to believe him or not.
Heather

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »
I had a leghorn hen who had a massive comb, a very loud call and would mount the hens - but only if there were no cocks around. She also laid hundreds of perfect white eggs.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:53 pm »
I had 2 buff orpingtons last year, from my brother, 1 of them died (hen) she had a seizure I think... The other one I was wondering why no eggs and finally noticed he was a cockerel, but only by the comb. I managed to give him away to a good home :) Its an easy thing to miss really. Tbh when I first saw the post I thought you were mad at one of your hens lol  :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:14 pm »
No, just plain mad! ;)
Heather

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:07:37 pm »
I have a blue Orp who was definitely a pullet last year. In the last 2 months at about 12 months old she has turned into a cockerel. Not that unusual apparently. She won't be a real boy but has taken on the appearance of one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »
Possibly. I think one of our ducks had a heart attack due to a joy overload. We had to let them out because we needed the hay shed back for lambing, but three hours later one of them was floating two feet up in the pond  :'(.
Can I let mine out now then?  I kept mine in their enclosure because I have a pond.  Pigeons flying overhead, crows and jackdaws picking around.  Only two weeks to go anyway I suppose but it would be much easier for me if they were out in the paddock, and so much nicer for them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS