Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Willow logs  (Read 2293 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Willow logs
« on: April 10, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »
I've a large number of willow logs from trees that we've felled /cut back.  Im going to use these for firewood.  However they are sprouting like mad... Is there any way to stop this,  or will they stop when they run out of moisture?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Willow logs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:02:33 pm »
they cant go on sprouting forever, willow has a lot of moisture in it, but must run out sometime.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 11:03:53 pm »
Spread them out for the sheep to nibble at - they'll nibble off any shoots, and strip the bark to prevent further shooting.  Next time put the branches out for the sheep before you cut them up.  Sheep can kill growing willow if you coppice or pollard it, so they'll have no problem with felled wood.
Otherwise, the logs will sprout this year, but probably not next.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:39:05 am »
We just went through a pile of willow this winter it sprouted all summer then quickly dried when we chopped and split it up - it burnt really well

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:31:27 am »
Hmm, can't leave it in the field because they are starting to root too!!  I am going to split them and stack them - I'm just hoping that the sprouting doesn't affect my stacking and make it all topple over!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS