Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Perseverance pays off new born kids  (Read 1682 times)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Perseverance pays off new born kids
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:59:05 pm »
Been a busy year this year.
One of my favorite does kidded early (couple of weeks premature) had triplets a large buck, medium doe and a smaller doe, probably was for best judging by size of buck and they had obviously been cramped up.

Birth went problem free but is was soon obvious that things were not going to be straight forward.
Smallest doe was the only one that attempted to stand at all.
Ensured all three received mothers colostrum every couple of hours.
Eight hours later no joy ,it was obvious it was going to be a full on bottle feed from the start

Kept mother in pen and divided it with hurdle to avoid any mishaps.
Took a full week of bottle feeding before the smallest doe stood up, decided i would see if she would suckle to my surprise she did and mother excepted her, buoyed by success was hopeful others would follow.

Next morning to my horror other doe and buck kid had terrible diarrhea, stopped milk and gave electrolytes for  18 hours before giving milk again.  doe looked really ill and never expected her to recover.
Following morning they were both looking a little better.

Doe i returned  to mother was thriving  and running about,so efforts continued with other two still bottle feeding.

It took a full tree weeks before the buck stood up, tried to get him to suckle mother no joy , so continued bottle feeding. Over next couple of days he started walking better and towards the end of the week running.

The final doe was still not standing and prospects were not looking good. Continued bottle feeding her for another week then yesterday she finally stood up, very unsteady and fell over.
Today she managed a few steps, was great to see.

Its been a long job but the outcome was well worth the sleepless nights.
Took the last doe 4 weeks to stand up, never thought in my wildest dreams i would see this outcome
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:08:07 pm by mart6 »

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Re: Perseverance pays off new born kids
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:01:19 pm »
Well done you. Very good news.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:40 pm »
Wow. I'm very impressed I am not sure I would have thought to persevere that long.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »
well done, a good feeling when things eventually come right, hope they continue to.
but it may be well to find out why, do you give mum mineral supplements? I havent seen it, but ive heard selenium deficiency can cause problems regarding kids standing.
What sort is she?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:18:36 pm »
Well done for trying so hard with them. You deserve to have won.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:55:07 am »
well done, a good feeling when things eventually come right, hope they continue to.
but it may be well to find out why, do you give mum mineral supplements? I havent seen it, but ive heard selenium deficiency can cause problems regarding kids standing.
What sort is she?
They are Boers , never had problems in past they have access to licks and minerals.
Started adding captrivite to feed as well now  to ensure its not a mineral issue

They were premature but think white muscle could of been a issue, they were given a dose of selenium and daily vitamin e.
They are now coming along great and its nice to see things work out., fingers crossed it continues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS