Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed advice for first time pig keeper  (Read 4775 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Feed advice for first time pig keeper
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:26 am »
Thanks for all your responses. These pigs are not to be sold, they are to be eaten by me and my neighbours, who are paying cost price. I am not a farmer, I am a man with a field. I have every intention of raising the best pork I possibly can, that is the entire purpose of the exercise.

People seem to respond very strongly to the word "cheap", I word which I emphasise I did not use. I want to keep my feed costs to a minimum for three reasons: 1) When I did my figuring I come out spending more on feed than it would cost me to buy a finished pig from the local rare breed keeper. I am more than happy to do all the work involved in keeping them simply for the pleasure of being a pig owner but we all have limited means and it does not make any sense to pay more than the going rate on top of all the work. 2) Pigs have been kept for thousands of years on whatever waste food was available. I am aware of the legal restrictions now in place on this practice but surely in our developed world of vast food waste it should be possible to tap this wasted resource and legally continue this practice. 3) We currently have no local feed mill so I either have to buy feed by the bag from the local supplier which is hugely expensive or by the ton for delivery which presents storage problems and significant delivery costs. In both cases there is no information on origin and I assume it is coming from the US or S.America and will contain GM along with who knows what else. 

The dairy is registered to supply whey as feed, so no legal problems there.  I haven't seen any legal restrictions on using spent grain, and the brewery I get it from send all the rest for cattle feed. For clarity I am in Scotland and I think restrictions are slightly different here.

I have acquired a broken chest freezer which should be vermin and weather proof which I reckon should hold half a ton of feed so once I get another I should be able to buy feed in bulk. I fully intend to continue feeding pellets, I'm really looking for advice on appropriate substitutions amounts of the various other foodstuffs I get hold of. All the advice I have found online does not mention amounts. It looks like TonyG's doc will help me with that, thanks.. I mentioned cutting out feed completely only as a query, this is not my plan.

On another note, harmony says Berkshires will finish at about 65kgs and go no further, which ties with what my books say, but the breeder I got them from says she regularly takes them higher. Be great to take a couple to baconer weight, anyone have any experience of this (successful or failed!)?

It is an interesting point you make between your costings and your local rare breed pig farmers cost for a finished pig. Maybe someone has done their sums wrong?

Yes, back yards pigs used to be raised on waste. Some of that waste included meat and bones. It took a lot longer to finish pigs and in an era where meat was not a daily part of peoples diet a finished pig was a different size to what we would recognise as finished today.

People did say there were alternatives to feeding just manufactured food and they also gave their view based on experience and knowledge.

Have you asked your feed merchant if you can buy a ton but collect weekly. Some local places will let you do this so you take advantage of the ton rate but only take what you can store and they keep a tally.

The reason berkshires and also middle whites are finished at lower weights is that after that point they then lay down fat. However, there is no reason why you can't take them to bigger weights. Of course, bacon can be made from a pork pig these days.

One of things you might like to consider in the future is the type of pigs you keep. It costs the same to kill a small pig as a big one. Modern pigs and modern crosses will get to weight quicker.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »
I can only speak from my own experience farmershort. I only feed soya free. Having had cancer soya is a no no in my diet. All my animals over the years have been fed both a diet made up by myself or the ready to feed which I find easier when it comes to making sure everything they need is already there. In breeding my Shetland ponies I believe that the way I feed and produced them gave me the champions that they became. My dogs are fed a grain free diet, chicken, lamb, beef and fish and rice. this choice I made after losing too many to cancer. Again no soya. Most of this meat we produce so i know what has gone into them. I raise our pigs and lambs for our own use so cost is not my first concern. I would agree that I may spend more than most but its for my our well being. I grow our veg for the house and extra for the pigs. It would be harder to store loose grains and keep it vermin free.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 05:30:43 pm »
I got my 11 month old Berkshire back from the abbatoir yesterday and she was 99kg!
A fair bark of back fat on her but she dressed out some beautiful pork. I have cured a belly so we will see how it goes
Lots of trimming which made lovely sausages

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 05:41:19 pm »
I got my 11 month old Berkshire back from the abbatoir yesterday and she was 99kg!
A fair bark of back fat on her but she dressed out some beautiful pork. I have cured a belly so we will see how it goes
Lots of trimming which made lovely sausages

Enjoy Gregoz. as a comparison. My lops go in at around 100kilo live weight, 20 to 24 weeks old. Not fatty at all but enough for good cracklin. I can bacon the sides and make sausage or go with joints.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS