Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cord  (Read 2039 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
Cord
« on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:28 pm »
How long should the umbilical cord be? I have one new born with cord almost reaching ground.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Cord
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »
Usually the dam will chew it off, I wouldn't touch it - but spray with iodine (I use Bactakil). But then I am quite squeamish and won't touch stuff unless absolutely necessary... others may have a different take on it though.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:47:15 pm »
I leave them but also spray with iodine. They eventually dry up and drop off. I have read that if you want junk it is too long you can cut it but should tie off with dental floss first to ensure it doesn't bleed. Never tried it myself. Banding is enough messing about for me tbh!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:03:37 pm »
I had one with very think and longish cord and sprayed well and left it. The next day, helping my neighbour, he had one similar. We tied it off and cut off the excess.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 03:39:41 pm »
Thanks all. Cords have shrivelled quite a bit. Disbudding in two days so will ask vet to trim if she deems it necessary.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 05:25:33 pm »
If it's dragging on the ground then gently tie a knot in it and spray. They can get trodden on if to long and that's really not nice!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:03 pm »
Usually the dam will chew it off, I wouldn't touch it - but spray with iodine (I use Bactakil). But then I am quite squeamish and won't touch stuff unless absolutely necessary... others may have a different take on it though.

Gosh Anke you seem so 'hands on' to me - I'm quite squeamish too and am really apprehensive that I'll have to get 'involved' when my girls kid. One reason why we keep Shetland sheep is due to their complete ease at lambing time. Sorry to pinch the thread by the way.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »

Gosh Anke you seem so 'hands on' to me - I'm quite squeamish too and am really apprehensive that I'll have to get 'involved' when my girls kid. One reason why we keep Shetland sheep is due to their complete ease at lambing time. Sorry to pinch the thread by the way.

Well, no choice on Sunday - 1st time ever I had two kids coming together... one head out and one leg, just not of the same kid, so it was a "hand in" job. But both kids - girls, yeah! - got out alive and after a bit of a slow start are now already jumping onto their mum, who is feeling (and looking) quite sore. The one thing I definitely don't do is blood and vomit (well that's two).

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:09:37 am »
I always cut the cord after the kid has been cleaned up.
Leave it @3 inches long dip it in iodine straight after cutting it with sterilized scissors.
Then dip it again@ 10-15 mins later (Precaution against navel ill)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS