Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nettles and Grass Cutting help  (Read 6950 times)

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
Nettles and Grass Cutting help
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »
Hi :wave:

We have a three acre paddock which is very patchy with lots of nettles. I cannot really afford a small tractor/ride on mower. I have tried to cut the grass with my petrol mower, which proved too much and the strimmer also failed mid-job.

My next idea is to use a nice scythe and to get good at doing it. What do you think? Another idea was to get some sort of topper that can be dragged behind a 4wd car. Are there such things?

Any help would be much appreciated before it gets out of hand. We keep pigs, goats and alpacas who are all doing their bit.  :)

Best wishes,

Tim

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Nettles and Grass Cutting help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 07:37:06 pm »
You can get toppers for quad bikes that have their own engine, I don't see why a car couldn't tow it. If you're new to scything I imagine you wouldn't yet have the strength and technique to do the whole lot yet.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:36:16 pm »
Spray the nettles ?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:38:18 pm »
You can get toppers for quad bikes that have their own engine

Indeed - search for ATV topper or ATV mower. We thought about buying one, but they're awfully expensive (£1K to £3K  :o ).

A decent strimmer should be ok for nettles though?  Have you tried using thicker gauge cord?  We switched to Oregon cord, which is really expensive. However, it lasts for ages. (fewer lengths of plastic dropped about the pasture too  :thumbsup: )
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:16 pm »
Depending on how big the land is and how much you want to spend really.
I use scythe for the nettles. It cost me about 20-30 pounds last year and it's fantastic. Light weight, quiet, no fuel, no engines to break.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:27:00 pm »
Get yourself one of these https://www.tracmaster.co.uk/collections/bcs-products/products/bcs-615l-crusader-power-scythe You can pick 2nd-hand ones up.

I have one- great for cutting grass paths also. They are easy to use, self-propelled, economical on fuel, superb build quality and will last forever if maintained (don't waste money by getting a cheaper version as they will fall apart on 3 acres).  3 acres isn't too big for it for general spot-weed cutting...and if you do it regularly no need for sprays.

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 06:39:10 am »
Thanks everyone for these replies. There seem to be quite a few options, so think I will start to practice with my scythe and then look at the powered ones. The problem with all machinery is that it seems to break of course, so might have to be careful about which to use.

Thanks again!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:29:00 pm »
We were thinking of selling our ride on mower and getting a powered flail mower for behind the quad.  But the Quad powered flail mowers cost more than the ride on mowers. And the second hand ones look very well used. There seems to be more well priced second hand ride one about so you may find that is your cheapest option after all.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »
I picked up this needed new bearings £8 each and away it went

Tim M

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
Interesting. We have now bought an old scythe mower that has been refurbished. It's kind of vintage but I like that about it and it will hopefully do the job.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
For 3 acres Id buy a better strimmer - not one from the home stores meant to strim the weeds from a small garden.

You could strim 3 acre in a day with a descent strimmer with good cord and have 2 half hour break for tea and an hour off for dinner.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:24 pm »
You can get right to the important eges with a strimmer too rather than a mower

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »
Where in the UK are you ?

If you are down south (I'm in devon but cornwall, dorset, somerset would be okay) I've got a brushcutter and nothing much to do at the minute (I'm between jobs, long story) and would happily give you a hand FoC,

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
I spent age look to hire a a trailed topper to use behind a quad , I found a company that wwould hire me a small  tractor an topper but they wanted £600 per week

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:47 am »
Why don't you use a selective weedkiller and backpack? I treat my thistles and nettles like that, kills the weeds and they die back and leave the grass

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS