Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse keeps coming out  (Read 3978 times)

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
Re: Prolapse keeps coming out
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »

Exactly. It's not at all the case that a prolapse will always return, only that in commercial settings the money / time isn't spent on individual animals. But small scale keepers, who this forum is for, are in a different position and therefore can look after ill hens or those with a prolapse.
And I'm very happy to be a small scale keeper, prolapses and all  :)
[/quote]

SallyintNorth asked for peoples advice and We all have our own opinions/ways of doing things.
I am a small scale keeper and would do the same with any of my current birds.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 11:59:08 pm »
We decided there was too much necrosis, and she'd started to peck at herself too.  So she had a couple of hours out at grass in the sun, and then we sent her on her way.   :'(

Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »
I think there can be useful lessons to be learned in both directions and things don't have to be commercial vs. smallholder. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS