Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: black pudding from fresh pigs blood  (Read 2760 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
black pudding from fresh pigs blood
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:40:16 pm »
I know there is a big push for utilising fresh pigs' blood to make black pudding rather than the imported dried blood. I'm considering doing this with mine, but is there any legal requirements with using fresh blood - struggling to get to the absolute requirements on this.

Cheers

David

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: black pudding from fresh pigs blood
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:04:48 pm »
I know there is a big push for utilising fresh pigs' blood to make black pudding rather than the imported dried blood. I'm considering doing this with mine, but is there any legal requirements with using fresh blood - struggling to get to the absolute requirements on this.

Cheers

David

I don't think it is a problem except you have to collect the blood at the point of bleeding so you will have to arrange with your slaughterhouse, who tend not to entertain anything from the norm. I believe you have to then keep it moving, and the at the right temp and make your puddings asap. You would then only be able to use it for your own consumption.

So you need a clean bucket and someone to drive!

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:10:53 pm »
Interesting thank you. What about if you were using the blood for product to sell or supplying the blood to restaurants?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 09:28:18 am »
I don't think the slaughterhouse would let you have it because basically blood is a waste product of the process. Ours, which is a butchers too, don't use their own blood, so to speak!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:10 am »
A fermenting bucket with a close fitting lid is best. You'll have to wait at the abattoir for the blood and make arrangements with them when booking the pig in. Take the clots out as soon as you get the blood, either with a stick or by hand then sieve it as soon as you get home.
If you have too much blood for your needs it freezes well (the pudding doesn't!)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:17:49 pm »
When I tried to get blood back the problem was Trichinella testing.  The slaughter house wasn't allowed to release any part of the pig until they had a negative test result and it took about 3 days to get the test results, obviously blood is no use then.
This was a couple of years ago so I don't know if it is still the case.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:55:07 pm »
Yes it would still be the case we don't release any part of the pig until tests come back okay, that's for sows or for pigs that don't have "controlled" ticked on the movement form
Everyday is a day to wake up for

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS