Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cloudburst?  (Read 2322 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Cloudburst?
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:49:31 am »
We have a first time kidder who has been huge for about 6 weeks. Udders massive too. We got our dates wrong this year due to a buck with high level of escape powers but we were pretty sure she was tupped end September16. Two other goats that we thought were tupped later kidded 3 weeks ago. We only have 5 so don't get them scanned. How can I tell if it's a cloudburst? She seems quite happy in herself. Appetite is fine, she moves about ok. Is there anything I should be doing for her? Thank you.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Cloudburst?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:27:24 am »
If her udders developing more likely to be in kid especially if not 100% sure when mated, only way to know for sure is to scan her, or just wait and see. I would keep feeding her as if she is in kid at the moment just in case.
I was caught out one year male escaped one was obviously in season so I presumed she was in kid.When it came to scanning she turned out to be empty, she kidded her waterbaby a little over due to kid but no udder made up. They often come into season a short time after cloudbursting. That year I scanned all the goats as male had a few times escaping and I'm glad I did as one of the kids was in kid- had no signs of season.
Another one we had that cloudburst we were milking and running through, cloudburst gave her a little boost in yield.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:27 am »
Thank you. We will do that. Hope it's kids for her sake. Must be miserable to go through all that for nothing.

Pinecooler

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 09:54:36 pm »
We have two does that were both served around the same time last year. The first gave birth a little over two weeks ago. The second has bagged up but no sign of a birth. due to the delay we started getting suspicious of the second. However after a bit of a feel of her stomach earlier in the week a kid was absolutely evident.

Long story short, have a feel of her stomach, you'll either feel a kid dancing around or at the very least there'll be distinct hard spots due to boney parts. If you've ever felt a human baby moving you'll know exactly what your looking for.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 12:42:52 am »
I like to press the flat of my hand down her right side, the soft bit behind the ribs, often can feel boney lump, gently press a few times and feel it move slightly, they sometimes bump back.
Borrow a stethoscope and listen for heartbeats?

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:07 am »
Hank you. Sometimes common sense deserts me when I am thinking about my goats. We will do just as you suggest. Fingers crossed. My worst nightmare is triplets ( and she is very big) even more than cloudburst. We have only had one experience of triplets which ended disastrously in a kid having to be pts as her mum did not have enough milk and she ended up with coccidiosis. So I am not sure what outcome I want other than healthy goats all round!!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:30:23 am »
Thank you. We now have a proactive vet who is putting a prevention plan in place for us. Don't ever want to go through that again. Thank you for the advice.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:20:28 pm »
Is this dairy goats or pygmies?

If dairy - and you have the means to - I would milk in the case of triplets anyway. Then you can a) see what she gives in 24h and b) divide amongst your kids equally and if necessary use replacer (like Caprilac or Lamlac) to top up. Most dairy kids will do best of given about 2 ltrs milk for the first few weeks, so with triplets it is unlikely that they will get that from the dam alone.

A bottle of Vecoxan (available from most agrimerchants, just tell them it's for sheep, or your vet) in the med cupboard is good to have, it can be added to their milk bottle (you need to weigh the kids though, as accurate dose is quite important) and - if given at the first sign of lethargy, kid hunched up, possibly lower temperature, not interested in food, diarrhoea often only happens a bit later - brings them back t normal within 24 hours.

One thing to watch out for re kids off colour - if you come into the goathouse and find that one ((or more) of the kids have "slittey" eyes - as in their pupils are narrow where everyone else's are dilated, then that is often the first sign that something is amiss...

Hope your girls will kid normally soon, but they do it in their own time!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:59:43 pm »
Thank you. They are boer cross actually. We are on constant alert now. All advice and tips gratefully received!!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:08 am »
Well this morning she had twins. All a bit of a jumble so vet was called. They haven't suckled yet but have both stumbled about a bit. Thank you for all your advice. Will be happier when they have eaten but still so far so good.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 12:15:38 pm »
Hi Bluff
Congratulations  :thumbsup:.
Male/Female?
Hope they've suckled by now, they need that colostrum as soon as possible.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:52 pm »
One each. Doe seems depressed
They have suckled but not loads as she doesn't seem to be keen to stand. One ( the girl) is very vocal. Doe isn't really responding to her shouting but has let her feed a bit, licks her and sniffs her too. Am a bit concerned

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:02:38 pm »
Congratulations on kidding, sorry to hear she is feeling poorly, I would contact your vet asap. as could be possibly coming down with metabolic disorder or milk fever so may need calcijet or twin lamb drench asap. Or possibly infection.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS